Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I come to it in a haze, everything looks out of focus and the room feels like its spinning- or is that just my head? As my eyes adjust to the dim light I realize that I am no longer sprawled across the forest floor. Instead, I am draped across the couch in someone's house or at least what's left of it. You can tell the house hasn't been vacant for many years, probably due to the fact most of the place seems to have burned down in a terrible fire. The air still smelled faintly of burned rubble.

A troubling question crosses my mind. How did I get here? The last thing I remember is going to look for Scott and Stiles in the woods-then- then I was attacked by some kind of animal. The image of its glowing red eyes still haunt my thoughts.

I squirm around on the rough couch cushions, trying as best I can to crawl to my feet. But there's a sharp pain in my side that causes me to stop abruptly.

That's not the only reason I stop. Someone is coming down the stairs. In a panic I look for a way out, but as the sound of clomping feet fades I find myself coming face to face with a man. The same man who I caught staring at me on my walk home from school the other day. The guy Scott was so reluctant to tell me about.

Now seeing the mysterious man up close I can clearly make out that his eyes are a beautiful shade of ivory green. So translucent they could easily be mistaken for a grey. My gaze can't help but gravitate across the rest of his body. His leather jacket was gone, now replaced by a plain white t-shirt that generously showed off his abs.

"You're finally awake. I was starting to worry that you would never wake up." The man says with a concerning tone.

"How did I get here?" With confusion and a sense of alarm clouding my thoughts, questions continue to pour from my mouth. "How did you find me? How- What happened?"

The man takes time to respond, almost as if he can sense my suspicion. "Well, I was out hiking in the woods this morning when I came across you laying in a pool of blood. I thought for sure you were dead, but when I checked your pulse I realized you were breathing. So I took you back to my place." His demeanor is relatively calm considering the circumstances of the story. "You had several deep cuts on your side. It looked like an animal of some sort had attacked you."

His story seemed reasonable. Although, I can't help feeling weary of his true intentions. Maybe it was his tone or the current condition of his home that set me on end, but I know this man isn't telling me the whole story. He had just saved my life though, I had no right to question him on what had and hadn't happened. At least, not yet.

I try to get up again but the pain returns, radiating down my side. I wince instinctively.

"Be careful!" he warns, putting his hand up to stop me. "Here let me help you up."

I try to hide the pain that flickers across my face as he lifts me onto my feet. "I'm fine. The pain is already fading."

I pull away from his muscular arms as the man helps to keep me steady. "Are you sure you're fine? You lost a lot of blood." His facial expression shows nothing but concern. His eyes on the other hand are blank, unreadable. He had a secret locked deep inside those forest green eyes, a secret I was better off not knowing.

Which begged the question, if I lost startling amounts of blood, how am I even still alive? Whether or not this man had the answer, I wasnt sticking around to find out. "I feel much better now. I just need to get home before my mom realizes I'm gone." Something about his expression tells me he knows my mom doesn't care when I come home.

"How about I drive you to your house? Then, I can make sure you get home safely"

I know there's no way I'll be able to walk all the way to my car without collapsing in the process, so I take him up on his offer in hopes of learning more about this man.

For a guy that lives in a run down building he sure has a nice car. With the Porsche nowhere in sight, his black Chevy Camaro is my only option of getting out of these terrifying woods. The leather seating comforts me as I sink farther into exhaustion and the tinted windows provide protection against the searing rays of sun.

On the way to my house a unsettling silence falls on the vehicle and I find myself bring up the first topic that comes to mind. Without thinking, I ask him why he lives in a burned down house. Turns out, a few years ago his family burned to death in a terrible fire while he and his sister were at school. Hearing this man's story, I'm thankful I still have my mother to go home to everyday. Even if she never has anything to do with me anymore.

As we pull up to the familiar bricked structure that I was learning to call my house, he turns to me. "Look, if you feel dizzy or weird in anyway here is my number. Call me if you need me to take you to the hospital, okay?" As he says this I can't help but feel like he's leaving out a very important piece of information. But I force a nod as I pull myself slowly out of the car, gripping the door to make sure I don't fall to the ground. His car door opens shortly after and he gets out of the Camaro. Knowing I needed more help then I was willing to admit, he walks me up the pathway and the steps of the porch. I struggle to open the door after bending over to retrieve the spare key I usually leave under the welcome mat. With a reassuring wave, I step through the threshold. He turns around to head back to his car and it is not until he reaches the Camaro that I realize this man just saved my life and I don't even know his name. "Hey, wait. What's your name?"

The man smiles, showing two perfect rows of gleaming white teeth as he responds, "Derek- Derek Hale."