Chapter 16

After the horrific betting event that I was still trying to get over, Cage took us to one of the lobby rooms in the building. It was like the living room of a mansion. Sunlight streamed through the tall arched shaped window indented in the soft tan walls. There was a black swirly balcony in front of the window. On there stood the same woman I noticed back underground, the one with the long blonde hair.

Two security guards with black sunglasses and suits stood against on either side of the mini balcony, their big hands clasped together and a frown on their alert faces. I wondered what they would do if I walked up to them and tickled them...probably kill me, so I decided against it. Also, Cage had a tight grip on my wrist like he was afraid I was going to wander away so that wasn't an option either.

Romeo was sitting in one of the tan chairs that circled the big marble floor. A glass coffee table with a black duffel bag, a gun, and a thick black folder sat upon the middle of the couches. It was so badass, I took a moment to try and convince myself it was all real and this was happening. I would have pinched myself except that would hurt too much.

"I don't like this." I whispered to Cage.

"You don't have to." He whispered back.

I tried to leave again by just walking out because I thought no one would notice. Unfortunately, my train of thought was completely wrong. They all did notice and Cage simply pulled me back to his side by the sleeve of my jacket. Damn. I'd have to try again later. One of these days, my escape plan by nonchalantly walking away would work, I tell you.

Cage took a seat across from Romeo. Micheal, Nick, and Heath waited by his side so I did too, trying to blend in with the background and act like I wasn't totally freaking out about this whole thing. Not to ruffle my own feathers, but I thought I did a pretty good job until I caught the cold glare from the blonde woman in the balcony and changed my mind.

Cage and Romeo began to discuss Jonah. Their conversation was hard to follow because half of it was Cage muttering death promises under his breath and Romeo had a habit of cursing in Italian when he got frustrated. They were trying to come to a consensus on what to do about Jonah.

Cage moved to the edge of his seat. I noticed a small pink scar on the back of his neck, right beneath his hairline. I wanted to ask how he got so many scars but it was neither the time nor the place for such a conversation. The sun caught Cage's eyes. They glittered like emeralds but held more rage and mirth than a stone ever could. Cruelty, laughter, amusement, rage, and hurt...so many emotions in such an emotionless man.

But that's why Cage Vickers was at the top of the food chain and that's why he stayed there for so long. He lacked human empathy and mercy and that's exactly what was needed for the kind of lives the Crows lived with a leader that rose to boundless power at such a young age. He wasn't raised up with love and comfort and a family...and yet I was still standing here.

That was the one question that slept in the back of my mind. If Cage Vickers was really as bad as everyone said he was, why was I not dead? Why did he keep me alive for so long, let me witness things that could put him away forever if I wanted him to be gone? The Crows were private, faceless criminals. I could change all of that. Why would Cage Vickers risk all of that? 

"I don't agree." Cage's words finally caught my ears. I propped myself against the chair, listening closely and trying to ignore the woman who kept on giving me dirty looks. "It's too big of a risk. We did not create an empire in the last decade for it to come crashing down because of Jonah. I won't let that happen, Romeo, listen to my damned words. He's already tried to give the CIA all of our information, and that was through a computer. Sooner or later, Jonah's going to talk, if he hasn't already."

Romeo refused to stop arguing. "I respect you, Mr. Vicker. You have done the impossible, you have played peekaboo with the law and won. Complimenti! And I agree, with Mr. King on the loose, it will be very hard to retain privacy. But murder is not the answer and you are not asking the right question-"

Cage scoffed, his fists clenching. "And what question am I supposed to be asking?"

Romeo's black eyes slid over to me. Startled, I straightened up and nearly fell because my legs had fallen asleep. Cage turned around, piercing me with cold green eyes. Micheal, who I had been standing next to this whole time, suddenly shifted away from me and closer to Nick. Romeo took a rocks glass filled with a dark amber liquid and sipped it. "Mr. Vicker, how are you so sure the girl will not talk?"

Cage smirked. "I don't."

"That is reckless, no?" Romeo didn't move his eyes from my face. "You have the world looking for you. A 17 year old girl is a very dangerous thing for men like you, and especially since she has every right to hate you after what you have done with her life, Cage. How much do you want to bet your little darling will talk before Mr. King does?"

Cage didn't answer.

"I suggest you remove the pawn before you go after the knight. As long as the king is in danger, any one can call checkmate...especially when you do not have many moves to work with after what happened in Sector 13." Romeo advised quietly. 

The atmosphere in the room instantly changed. Everyone instantly stiffened at the mention of Sector 13 but me, including Micheal. It was the first time we had heard Romeo say anything about that night. I didn't want to stick my nose where it didn't belong so I stayed quiet.

"Angelo-"

"-is dead." Romeo finished softly. "Che il bastardo riposare in pace."

Cage leaned forward again, keeping his voice just as low and dangerous. With the deafening silence, it was easy to hear his threat-implied words to Romeo. "The game is not over and it never will be as long as my enemy doesn't know the rules. And there is always a way to cheat in chess. November is not the threat, Romeo. The only way I will ever say checkmate won't be because of November, it will be because of Jonah."

"Cage-"

He suddenly stood up and tugged at the hem of his jacket. "I called you here for your opinion, Romeo." Cage growled. "And I've got it now. Jonah King is my business and what I do with him will be what's best for us. I do not need permission, Romeo, and I'm not asking for it either. Know where you stand and watch what you say. He is going to die very soon and I'm beginning to think you almost do not want him to."

Romeo stiffened. "You know that is not what I mean-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence. Heath was suddenly standing next to Romeo. In the blink of an eye, Romeo was cursing with pain. The familiar glowing orange tracking chip was flashing in his neck, three times before going out. Heath stepped back, wiping the blood off the injection with a black handkerchief.

"Accidenti a te." Romeo growled.

Cage's response was a humourless smile. "Insurance."

I glanced down at my own arm, the one with the same microchip as Romeo's. Was that his insurance of me as well? No doubt that Nick and the rest had also been injected, but that was different. They worked for Cage Vickers. I did not. The sudden realization that the Crows would know exactly where I was at any moment in any country, city, or continent for the rest of my life was more than enough to make me panic.

I was never going to get out of this alive, was I?