Chapter 6

Why did you have to leave me?

You didn't take time to learn about your powers.

You ran away from your problems.

You didn't even say goodbye.

....He didn't even say goodbye.

The words bounced through his head as he felt the familiar sensation of Sophie's thoughts transmitting to his.

He wanted to leap up and think back, Hey, Foster! Miss me?

But he bit his lip trying to ignore her. It would mess things up if he gave in.

You didn't even say goodbye.

It's not like he could. If he had to face Sophie before he left, he'd never have the courage to continue. He was that fond of her.

Keefe sat on a damp log, perched on a wet patch of grass. He sat, digging the heels of his shoes into the brown, mucky earth.

He looked up at the late night sky. He couldn't see the stars like he was able to back in the Lost Cities. Huh. Sophie was right- You really couldn't see much of the stars in the Forbidden Cities. It was because of the pollution. There was a thick, gray smog above him in the sky. It made the sky look strange.

He'd never forget the look Grady gave him when he saw him when he was in Sophie's room alone. It was almost murderous. Sure, he wasn't in Grady's good books. He was always doing dumb, reckless things. He tied Sophie into a lot of trouble sometimes. It made Keefe wonder if he did make the right decision by running away. 

But still.

He hadn't even said goodbye.

Keefe sighed, a defeated, distraught look set upon his features. 

"Foster, you know I'm only doing this for you. It's to keep you safe. From... me," Keefe said out loud, not directed to anyone.

But as that last word slipped, his voice cracked.

She was just that kind of girl. He'd never forget her.

She was really caring. Sophie was probably the only person who could see through Keefe's mask. She was perfectly gullible, and Keefe used to loop her into some of his crazy plots at times. She was also kind, smart, helpful.

Basically everything he wasn't. Though a few people told him otherwise.

And on top of that... She was beautiful. 

Sophie had the sweetest smile, which made her brown eyes glint the specks of gold around her pupils. Her soft honey blond hair was the perfect accompaniment. 

Keefe really missed her. But he knew he had to do this. For her. 

He didn't want to be an added burden to everyone's problems.

A/N: This chapter broke my heart! </3 I hate seeing Keefe and Sophie in so much turmoil. But I know I had to develop the story accurately, so I guess I'll have to find my own coping mechanism to get through :'] But still, I hate myself for doing this to my best imaginary friends. AAAH!