Bonding

Wanda tensed up when she heard him talk. Oleg never wore any helmets, a hat, sure but she had never seen him wear a helmet.
"Who are you?" She asked, sharply, pinning him tighter to the tree when he tried to leave.

"Name's Peter," he looked around seemingly looking for something. "You wouldn't happen to know where we are, do you?"

Peter, not Pietro. It wasn't him.
Of course, it wasn't, she mentally smacked herself, it was too good to be true. She had ignored the signs, the differences, but there was no denying when it came directly from him. This man wasn't her brother. Still, it wasn't fair. All she wanted was to be happy, to have a family, but the universe seemed keen in making sure she'd never get a happy ending. She wanted to feel angry, to lash out, but she just felt... empty. She turned to the man, still immobilized, he was still waiting for an answer.

"Westview," Wanda replied, "New Jersey."

Peter nodded, obviously not understanding where the town was, but not having much choice but accept his predicament.
Wanda raised a hand, and let the illusion changing his clothes break. His runner costume gone, the man was wearing leather pants, a silver jacket with a band T-shirt. A Walkman was at his side, the headphones at his neck.
'Weird, where did he even get a Walkman?'

She smirked at the goggles on his head, if he really had superspeed, he certainly had the right idea. Pietro had complained a lot about dirt and debris getting into his eyes, she had suggested a shield from her magic, but he said he'd find a solution eventually. She noticed with a sigh that his hair was back to silver, no more pretending now.
"How did you even get here?" The question came out harsher than she would have wanted. The man didn't seem phased by it, he might have been used to someone in his entourage losing their temper. He simply shrugged and answered.

"I'm not really sure, I was in my room, deciding what to do about my father when a portal opened and suddenly, I'm in some freaky dungeon. There's a lady talking about you getting desperate, next thing I know, I'm at your doorstep."

It didn't make sense, no one in Westview had a dungeon and sure, maybe she had wanted her brother back, but bringing in a stranger? He didn't even look like Pietro, why did her magic took him, out of everyone else? She looked at the necklace in her hand, the magic wasn't his, that was for certain. He had been under a spell, but why?
He should have had his role attributed to him when he came in the town, no need for any fancy jewelry. Speaking of, how could he stay himself right now? Why was he unaffected?

She waved her magic away, letting him go. He took a step forward and looked at her, probably wondering why she had just let him loose.
"Tell me about you, where are you from?" Wondered Wanda. He might not have been her brother, but she could still feel the connection. Apparently, so did he, because he sat down and cleared his throat.

"Well, I'm Peter, I grew up in America, with my mom and my," he paused, "my younger sister, Lorna." Wanda frowned, why had he hesitated just now? Peter continued his ramble, "when I was seventeen, three guys and I helped a known terrorist to break out of the pentagon, you know him as Magneto, but I figured out later that he was my father. I found him again 10 years later, but he had joined ranks with the god wanna be. He called himself Apocalypse. Took my dad in because he could control metal. Tried to tell him we were related, but I was too much of a loser so instead I tried taking on Apocalypse by myself, got my leg broken and I've been wondering how to tell him ever since. Oh, and I joined the X-Men."

Wanda frowned once again; she hadn't heard of any events that Peter described. Could it have happened while she was being experimented on? She had never encountered anyone named Magneto, or Apocalypse. And who were those X Men? Perhaps he meant Avengers? But those names wouldn't easily get mixed up. The same unnerving feeling was creeping up on Wanda. The feeling he didn't belong here, not just him not being her brother, there was something more. His life didn't add up, nothing of it made sense. A few questions came to her mind, but she settled with the more urgent one.
"Who was the lady in the dungeon? If someone is trying to sabotage my life, I deserve to know who it is."

Peter seemed lost in thoughts for a moment, before looking at her. "I'm sorry, I guess she used a trick on me because I know she's a lady, but I can't remember specifics details."

Wanda sighed and pressed her face into her hands, why couldn't she just live her life without someone ruining it. Chaos was the usual in her life, the moment she tried to settle down, a threat would rise and rip her loved ones away. She thought she would be safe in her own little town, but then the drone came, and now that lady who seemed determined to destroy her world.

"What happened to your brother?" The question took her by surprise. It was to be expected from him, he was, after all, brought in to replace Pietro. He had to be wondering why her actual brother couldn't play the part. Peter cleared his throat, understanding of rude he sounded and opted for a not-a-care-in-the-world mannerisms. "I mean, I think I know, but I don't want to assume and be rude. Hell, I have his memories, but I have no idea if what I've been shown is real. The lady that messed with my mind could have slipped stuff in, so I hurt you without wanting it."

Wanda smiled, he might not have been her brother, but he did act a little like him. Pietro was very protective of her too, must have been an older brother thing. She too was protective, but her grief had kept her from really connecting with anyone.
'Except with Vision and look where you ended up' she shook away the thought. Those intrusive comments kept haunting her, why couldn't she shake them away? She looked at her not brother, choosing to focus on him.

"He was a hero." A dead hero. "We survived a bombing when we were ten and ended up on the wrong side. We saw the truth and saved the world." Yet he lost his life. "He only had his powers for a few months, same as me. He wasn't in total control of them. He saved a friend of mine and a child from being shot down, but he wasn't quick enough."

Peter looked at her with sympathy in his eyes, he slowly put a comforting hand on her shoulder, trying to help her. "I uh, I know it's not the same thing, but I've been struggling with telling my true lineage to my father. I thought it was only my truth but it's apparently true for all speedsters. I've noticed that for people as fast as us, we always seem to be too late." They both chuckled, sadly. He removed his hand from her shoulder and gripped her hand instead.

"You know, I didn't even get to attend his funeral," Wanda said, grief dripping from her words. "I'm part of a superhero group, the Avengers. There was always something happening, I never took the time to grieve him properly."

"I- I'm a twin as well," confessed Peter. Wanda looked at him in shook, was that why he hesitated when he described his family life? He squeezed her hand, clearly this was a painful memory. "She died. She wasn't shot or anything, it happened when we were 15. She uh, she had probability powers," Wanda frowned at that power, she had never heard of it. "She could sway the odds in her favor, if that makes it any clearer." Peter chuckled, "she would use it to make sure we never missed the bus, or that she'd pass a test she wasn't sure she had studied enough. We're not sure what happened, no one was there with her. I was running, when I just felt it, you know? Like a bond just breaking and next thing I know I'm passed out and my mom keeps calling my name."

"What's your name? Your full name?" Urged Wanda. They were too similar, there had to be a reason for it. She had felt the same way when Pietro died, like a piece of herself was ripped away, leaving a bloody mess in its wake.

"Peter Maximoff"

———————————————————————
Sorry it ended like this, the full chapter was originally 2500 words so I split it in two where it fitted best!
Thank you for reading, kudos and comments are always appreciated!