15. Goodnight

cw/tw: alcohol consumption and mature/sexual themes, do not read if you're uncomfortable or underage, thank you sm

side note, check out @/ bri4nn4m4rie on spotify, she has made a playlist for elusive and all of the songs go so well with the story like each song means something so if you're the type of person to listen to music while reading, i suggest you listen to that playlist

"My answer is no."

Even though George wasn't looking directly at her, Cosette was still able to see a smirk start to form on his lips. He seemed so happy with himself, happy that he got that off his chest.

But Cosette's mind was travelling a mile a minute. It didn't help that her thoughts were becoming lost in the voices of her friends a few feet away. Ginny was laughing, Luna and Neville were singing loudly to the song that played and Hermione was trying to talk to Ron over the volume.

So it was difficult for Cosette to process exactly what she had just heard with everything going on in the background.

George stopped running his fingers through Cosette's hair and she took it as a sign to slowly sit up from his lap. Her eyes darted from his hands to his lips to the faint stubble that had grown over his cheeks.

He inhaled a quick breath, "Do you-"

"Cosette!" Ginny yelled out in excitement and both her and George snapped their heads in her direction. Her hand was on the volume knob of the stereo and instantly Cosette realized why Ginny was calling for her.

"I see a man in the back as a matter of fact, his eyes was as red as the sun!"  Hermione's face lit up as she yelled along to the lyrics of the 1973 hit Ballroom Blitz as it blasted through the speaker. They had been listening to music from the wizard world for most of the night until Dean decided to put on one his favorite muggle stations.

It was just a coincidence that the first song to play was the one song that Hermione, Cosette and Ginny used to blast on full volume when they were younger and at the burrow. They were going through Arthur's muggle items that he collected and came across this tape and ever since then it had been their song.

"And the girl in the corner that no one ignores 'cause she thinks she's the passionate one!" Ginny sang the next line, pointing directly at Cosette as she stood up from the floor to join the other girls. There was no way she couldn't stand up and sing along.

Every time Cosette turned her head to look at either Hermione or Ginny, she had to ignore the way the walls behind them were spinning. It wasn't long until she decided it was easier to just close her eyes as she danced alongside them.

Eventually, Luna and Neville joined in and at that point, no one could hear the actual song. Just the combination of off-key voices. Dean jumped up on the coffee table and used an empty vodka bottle as a microphone.

"And the man in the back said, 'Everyone attack' And it turned into a ballroom blitz!" Cosette's voice cracked as she sang at the top of her lungs, but no one seemed to notice. They were at the point in the night where everyone was in their own little world. No one paid any attention to what anyone else was doing.

No one, except George.

He had just as much to drink as everyone else in the room, but alcohol never turned him into a reckless person or gave him the courage to dance like his life depended on it. George was the type of drunk who sat back, kept to himself and observed the people around him.

And this night was no different.

His eyes were on Cosette, watching as she laughed along with Hermione and Ginny. She lifted her hands above her head as she danced, letting the music move her in ways that she wouldn't normally, had it not been for the liquor.