55. kepa-she

There were hands on my face...someone was trying to wake me. 

Slowly, and begrudgingly, I opened my eyes and let out a small breath as all the events from earlier rushed back into my mind. 

"You're okay."

My attention focused on the person who had woken me...it was Abby. 

In confusion, I pushed myself up off the ground, looking around to see Raven, Octavia, Jordan and another woman I didn't recognize. Judging by the cuffs around her wrists, I was guessing she was the one who stole our transport ship.

"Where are the others?" Jordan wondered as the group of us slowly came to. 

Wincing at the pain in my neck, I nodded toward the buildings. "Locked up." I answered., my voice strained by the certain swelling in my throat. "To protect us."

"What happened to Shaw?" Raven questioned, her words causing me heart to break...she had seen the grave we had dug for him. 

I met her teary eyes and shook my head. "I--"

Bellamy's confused voice cut me off as he slowly came to consciousness. "Abby?" he wondered, his hand flying to his head, lightly touching the place where I had hit him.

I watched him with careful eyes, noting how he instantly looked toward me. The minute he did, a sorrowful look came across his face as his eyes landed on my bruised neck. 

"I'm okay." I promised, not holding any sense of anger or blame toward him. 

Giving me an unconvinced looked, Bellamy looked to our new arrivals. As his eyes moved across the group, they stopped on one person. "What the hell is she doing here?" he demanded, eyes locked on his younger sister. 

Octavia pressed her lips into a firm line as she looked away, clearly hurt by her brother's reaction to her arrival. 

"And who is that?" Bellamy added, nodding toward the mystery woman. 

Any answer that the rest of the group was going to give us was cut off by Abby's voice. But she wasn't speaking to us, she was speaking to Murphy .

"Come on, John. Wake up." he prodded, slightly holding his head in her hands. "Come on."

My heart dropped as I scrambled to my feet, rushing over to where Murphy was laying, still unconscious.

Clarke followed after me, both of us looking to Abby for some sort of explanation. "Why isn't he waking up?" I demanded. "He-he was okay before and..." I trailed off, shaking my head as I recalled the earlier events. 

Murphy had taken a beating, but he had been walking and talking before Clarke administered the teargas. 

Abby gave Clarke and I a distressed look. "His pulse is too weak." she whispered, quiet enough as to not alert the rest of the group. 

Clarke leaned forward, her face morphing into confusion as she pulled the collar of Murphy's shirt back slightly. "Mom, what is this?"

My eyes widened as vicious black lines stood out against Murphy's pale skin. It looked like whatever it was was in his blood stream, coursing through his veins. 

A small gasp fell from my lips as I brought my hand to my mouth, horrified at what I was seeing. 

"I don't know." Abby answered Clarke, the same level of confusion present on her face. 

As if the situation couldn't have gotten more strange, the sudden sound of children's laughter and chatter filled the air. 

I turned from Murphy, looking toward the entrance of the settlement where a small child had appeared at the top of the stairs. She looked down the staircase, waving to someone down below.