28 | Nowhere

Fushiguro helps you jump off a balcony and onto a roof of another building.

Your heart is beating rapidly. 'Is it gone?'

Thick branches suddenly shoots out the door— well, that's your answer. Hanami came soon after, walking on the branches towards you and the others.

"Inumaki-senpai's going to stop it." Fushiguro tells his shikigami that he had just summoned, "You have nothing to fear."

You turn to Inumaki as soon as nue began to approach Hanami. Your eyes grow wide as you see him struggle to speak.

"Inumaki―!" he spits out blood, the red substance dripping from his mouth.

Your attention is suddenly taken off him and back to the now dead shikigami. your breath hitches—  just like Fushiguro and Kamo, you're shocked.

'Is it gone..?'

'So Inumaki reached his limit first..!'

A chill runs down your spine. You sensed a sudden spike of cursed energy somewhere..

"Kamo-san!"

You shout, your fist immediately lighting up a deep crimson. Hanami's behind him!

You're a second late. Kamo's knocked back by Hanami while your clenched fist makes contact with the special grades face. You wanted to land another hit on the curse, but you see it's hand attempt to grab you.

You're able to step away and stand beside Fushiguro.

"Are you still alive, Kamo-san?!" fushiguro ask the third year. he's probably unconcious. Hopefully not dead..

"Fu- Fushiguro." you shakily call. Your knuckles were close to bleeding from all the punching on Hanami's hard and sturdy body.

"What do we do now..?" you ask.

Fushiguro grits his teeth. 'I don't know..'

He's getting ready to summon another one of his shikigami's. Seeing that he was still going to try and fight the curse, you wanted to help him.

"Ready whenever you are.." you mutter, both of your fist lit up while cursed energy surrounding it like dancing flames.

Suddenly, Fushiguro stops when he feels a hand on his shoulder.

"Mustard.."

'Inumaki-senpai!'

You and Fushiguro are both shocked to see him still standing. The second year walks  towards Hanami, as if he isn't scared of the curse at all— if it meant keeping his kouhai's safe until help arrives.. Then soo be it!

"Inumkai-senpai! Uou're going overboard!" you shout.

You tried to interfere, but felt your tired body give up once Fushiguro tightly wraps his arms around your figure.

He held you closely as you helplessly watch your senpai slowly push himself past his limits.

"Blast off!"

Inumaki drops to his knees, blood coming from his mouth. His cursed speech worked on Hanami, but it seems like the curse is unaffected.

Fushiguro finally lets go of you when he sees no danger around the area. Did inumaki's technique work..? He can never be too sure.

You quickly approach Inumaki before scanning the rooftop to see if kamo's body is in sight. You sigh in relief, seeing that Inumaki's breathing and Kamo was still on the roof.

'This sucks.' your friends are getting hurt and you didn't like that. But.. What can you do?

You're basically useless when it comes to long-ranged combat. God, you really have to ask Gojo or Maki for a weapon— you haven't realized that the spear you were given has already gone missing.

You then turn to where the special grade was blasted to, and your eyes widen. 'Maki-san!'

Fushiguro attacks hanami, managing to slice off one of the branches from it's eye sockets.

You immediately run to the two once you see Hanami's attention shift to your figure. This curse is creepy..

Maki nods at you, as if glad to see you're doing alright.

"Now that katana is not bad." is this a compliment?

Maki answers, "We've got something even better."

Fushiguro pulls out a red three-sectioned staff from a shadow below him before handing it to Maki. Your eyes widen once you see the weapon.

"But using this.."

".. Feels pretty disgusting to be honest."

High-grade cursed tool; Roaming cloud!

Maki began her attack. You watch in awe as Hanami is once again sent flying back.

"You ready, L/N?" Maki ask, looking over her shoulder to make eye contact with you.

You feel adrenaline run through your veins. this is it― you're going to try to use a hundred percent of your strength in order to help them.

'That is.. If i have any power left..'

You, Maki, and Fushiguro began approaching Hanami. The fight has now been moved from the roof and onto the ground.

'... But then i'll make sure to use it!

 But then i'll make sure to use it!

i absolutely LOVE everyone's comments/reaction to chapter two ( swallow ) !!