Chapter Seventeen

Caleb ~

A few hours after breakfast the light had returned to Lainey's eyes and she had a little more pep in her step after three electrolyte drinks and some medication.

Caleb was on cloud nine and he couldn't hide the smile that seemed to be permanently smeared across his face. He knew that Lainey had been drunk and had no recollection of anything she had said to him the night before, but Caleb's mother had always told him that drunk words were sober thoughts and he was holding tight to that with everything he had at the moment.

James and Pierce had already left for the afternoon and wouldn't be home for hours and Caleb watched as Declan and Marcus disappeared through the front door along with Ricardo and Camila, leaving him completely alone with Lainey.

Once the door closed, the house became thick with silence and Lainey kept her eyes glued to the TV that was on, but muted. Both Lainey and Caleb sat stock still, staring forward at the TV, but Caleb couldn't help but cut his eyes in her direction as he lightly brushed his hand against hers. He watched her breathing pick up at the sensation of his skin against her hand, but she pretended not to notice and hadn't looked at him yet. Caleb loved watching her subtle reactions to his light touches and kept his eyes fixated on her from the side. She chewed her lip anxiously before words blurted out of her mouth with so much force it made Caleb jump.

"Want to go for a walk? The sun finally came out today," she asked loudly.

"Sure Darlin,'" he answered with a chuckle that came deep from within his chest.

As soon as they were outside, Lainey seemed to relax a little as if she hadn't trusted herself alone in the house with him.

They walked along the outer edges of the grounds for an hour, taking advantage of the sun that had finally come out from behind the clouds and simply enjoying each other's company. He and Lainey learned more and more about one another with every step they took, exchanging funny stories and answering each other's questions along the way.

Caleb laughed to himself at the rate and speed of Lainey's small steps. She was a short little thing, but she kept the pace of a race horse during their walk that was intended to be leisurely.

"Didn't know we were racin'" he laughed as he lengthened his stride.

"Oh I'd never race you." she said with a smile. "I wouldn't want to embarrass you like that." she added, giving him a sly grin.

"You embarrass me in a race?" He heard her words, but needed confirmation of her absurdly adorable claim.

Caleb scoffed at her, lengthening his stride a little more as he pulled ahead of her.

"I'm pretty fast," she said confidently.

"I have no doubt Darlin', you're just not faster than me." He shot her a wink and watched as her eyes flashed with determination.

"Put your money where your mouth is then Doc...First one to the other end of the pool house wins." she said with a smirk.

"And if I win?" he asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"You get a prize."

Oh hell yes.

"And if I win?" she asked, mimicking his posture.

"You won't." His mouth lifted into a half smile as he watched her mouth gape open at his arrogant statement before snapping it shut and turning her little body toward the pool deck.

He and Lainey stood still as he counted them down, giving each other playful glares before they took off for the finish line.

"Ready...set...go!" he yelled, taking off running, but pulling up a little so he didn't embarrass her too badly.