C H A P T E R 4 6

R U M A I S A clutched her belongings in her hands tightly

R U M A I S A clutched her belongings in her hands tightly. All the jewellery she had collected over the years lay infront of her. The expensive suitcases, over flowing with the designer clothing she was obsessed with. Her eyes ran across the now bare walls of her marital bedroom. Never had she imagined that a day would come wher3 she would have to part with the luxurious life. To her, it was a birth right that was denied.

Rumaisa, much like her family, had forgotten that the life she was used to, was not her own. It was borrowed off of the kindness of an orphan boy. Whom they shunned at every step. Since Rizwan had made the decision to sell this property and move to much less expensive area, her brain was clouded with thoughts of Mustafa.

She had rejected him. And now she held regrets. Even if he was paralysed, atleast he would respect her. Atleast she would not have to worry about moving out of her home. What had she done? Had she destroyed her future with her bare hands? On top of that, the guilt kept piling on. The guilt of thinking about another man while her husband had never refused to fulfill her wishes.

"Rumi paani lana," Rizwan ordered.
He had just returned, unsuccessful from another day of job hunting.
"Mein mulazima ko kehti hun," his lazy wife spoke.
Rizwan shook his head. They had clearly fired everyone last night. No longer able to afford them.
"Mulazim kal sai farigh hain. Khud le kar aao," he sighed.
He could not help but wonder if he had made a mistake. Had it been Hoor, she would have not spoken a single word. After all she would be used to the hard life.

Rumaisa made an ugly face before heading out. She was busy. But lately, her husband seemed to not care. He thought him losing the job was the most devastating. When really it was the fact that Rumaisa had been kicked out of the rich wives life. The girls that once loved her and her fashion senses, refused to pick up her never ending calls.

"Yeh lein!" She all but the threw the glass in his hands.
Some of it spilling on their bedsheets. Rizwan sighed, he could understand why Rumaisa felt frustrated. But why could she not understand his worries?
"Rumi dekho mein samajh sakta hun tumhe kyun itni pareeshani hai. Par please meri majboor samjho. Jaise hi yeh sab khatam ho ga, hum wapis isi lifestyle mein ajain gai," he kissed his wife's cheeks.
Trying to make her understand. And look at the brighter side of things. Eventhough, he knew no one had any idea when things would get better.

Rumaisa nodded half-hearted. She knew these were just words. It was a pandemic. Not a vacation. She knew she could not go to her parents, who themselves were facing tough problems. Shaking these thoughts aside, she started packing away her jewellery. When Rizwan stopped her.
"Rumi yeh saaray zeewar le jaane sai behtar hai inhe bank mein rakhwa dein. The place we are moving to is not that safe. Isliye behtar hai keh bank mei hi jama hon".