06

"eyes have a language of their own"

I crossed my arms and stared up the ladder. I didn't want to let him know I could transform at will, because then he'd force me to stay with legs.

Ugh, legs. I hate legs. What useless appendages. They're hard to swim in, how useless are they if they don't even help you swim? But, you can't climb with a tail...

I stared at the attractive man holding the knife in front of me. "How do you expect me to climb with this?" I flipped my body to the side to fling my tail out of the water.

He gave a rough exhale of air- a near growl- before strapping the knife down to his belt. He swam right up next to me with a rope. He gestured his hand to let me know to give him my hand, and when I did he tied my hand to his.

I stayed quiet, my curiosity exploding as he turned around and looped my other arm around his neck, I was giving him a backwards embrace almost.

I watched as he secured my other arm, "Hold on."

He swam yo the ladder and gripped the first wood bar, before the other hand took the second. First to third, second to fourth, third to fifth, fourth to sixth, and so on. I held tight with my arms as we made our way up the ladder.

I was genuinely surprised as he carried both of us up. Even with my slender build, my tail weighed more than regular human legs (I could attest. One thing good about legs was the light ease of them.)

I also couldn't help but notice the way his body flexed everytime he gripped a new wooden bar.

I felt annoyance at how I hadn't even kissed this guy.

As he took his sweet time climbing the ladder, I had time to ponder on how he resisted my song. No one has ever resisted a siren call.

Simultaneously as that thought breached my mind, another thought whispered old words from an older mermaid.

All the younger mermaids who couldn't yet seduce men were gathered around the one mermaid sent to watch us. Her name was Elizabeth.

She would spend hours teaching us and telling us stories to occupy time until the hunt ended.

The whispers I was hearing were of a story she told only once.

My mind lost itself in the memory...

"Come on Elizabeth! Why can't you just tell us what happened to Rorie!" Nixie begged.

"Oh hush children, Rorie is gone. Why don't you listen to me as I teach you how to grow legs again-"

Nixie cut Elizabeth off, "We already know how to do that! Tell us about Rorie, pleaseeeee." Nixie jutted her bottom lip out.

Elisabeth let out a harsh sigh. "Fine."