Chapter 26: Warning

Talks started to spread across the castle that maybe Adaline was playing a double game with Stefan and the Darkling. It took everything in Freya and Irina's power to shun the spread of any rumour. They weren't going to tolerate anything against Adaline. That morning had proved their love for her to be true.

Adaline was facing a tough time with all the stares and whispers that spread around whenever she walked through the castle. She could scare them with her powers if she wanted to but all she had to do was summon a sphere in her hand. The eyes would revert to minding their own business.

Stefan walked into his sister's room after she told him that they had some unfinished business to talk about. He knew that she did not like Adaline for whatever reason, but he was the reason that the castle was safe. He was glad that he was able to get Adaline to calm down. He had never thought that she would have a breakdown with her powers because she always seemed so confident about herself.

"Stay away from her." Maria started the conversation by coming directly to the point.

"Maria."

She scoffed. "You really don't see the reality, do you?" Her brother was completely in her trance. She knew that Adaline had done nothing wrong but Maria had to keep her family safe, no matter the cost.

 She knew that Adaline had done nothing wrong but Maria had to keep her family safe, no matter the cost

"Well, you've always told me that I have a bit of a long sight." He tried to crack a joke but his sister was very serious, and he had never seen her like that. "Why?"

"While you were holding Adaline, the Darkling was looking at the two of you. While the entire eyes were on both of you, I was looking out for trouble. He may have looked like he was surrounded by shadows but I could feel his stare on you."

Stefan realised what she was trying to imply. It seemed improbable really. He couldn't see why the Darkling would be what his sister was stating. "That's none of my business."

"But it is! He can hurt anyone that he wants. It's exactly like you said. Father trusts the Darkling more than anything. He has the upper hand here."

He did not like hearing that, especially not when it came to Adaline. "Did he hurt you?" Everyone was scared of the Darkling and though the royals preferred to keep their distance, he knew that there was a reason for Maria to be talking to him about this at that point in time.

"No. I stay away from him."

"I can take care of myself."

Maria couldn't respond to that. "Do you care for her just because she looks like Bella?" She hit his feelings with a guillotine.

"Bella has nothing to do with this." His jaw clenched but he got the words out.

"Doesn't she?" She asked. "Don't you see her eyes in Adaline's? Her spirit?"

"Don't."

"You care for her because she reminds you of someone that you love." She tried to talk to him calmly, knowing that that would prick more. "But you have to stay away from her. The Darkling gets what he wants. And he has eyes for her."