Chapter 27: Strike Two

Adaline heard a knock on her door. She was sitting in the sill below the window and was looking out the window. She watched the moonlight bounce off the surface of the lake. It looked like a million diamonds had been dropped into it. That was the only way she was going to get some time with herself.

The voice of the lady who died had been haunting her. She couldn't take the pain that she saw in her eyes away from hers. She still remembered the blood on her hands and the smell of iron in the air. And after everything that had happened that morning, she decided to stay away from Stefan. She couldn't depend on another person to maintain her control.

She told the person to come in from where she sat. Her body refused to cooperate. All her energy had been drained out in that morning's episode. Maxwell was halfway in when he realised that she had been crying.

"May I come in?" She nodded while pursing her lips. She didn't want to meet anyone but Maxwell could be an exception. "A little birdie dropped this off for you." He held up the letter in his hand.

Adaline squinted her eyes to see the seal that kept the letter closed and her eyes widened when she recognised it. She stood up as instincts took over. "Is that...." The seal was something that she had seen all her life.

"Simon Petrov sends his regards."

She quickly walked towards him and he handed her the letter

She quickly walked towards him and he handed her the letter. She hugged him, having the biggest smile on her face. "Saints Saints Saints, thank you Maxwell! This is exactly what I needed right now."

"I'll leave you to it. I'll see you tomorrow once you feel better."

Maxwell left her to take some rest and told her that he would meet her the next morning for training. Adaline locked the door up and stood with her back to the door for some time. The letter seemed to be quite heavy because that would have the answers that she had been waiting for ever since she tried to escape.

She rushed to open the letter carefully. It was hard to read the content inside because of her excitement but she managed to calm herself down.

Dear Addy,

Things have been crazy here at camp. After you left, so did the Grisha Army. The General refused to talk to anyone for days and I had to make sure that he ate properly. Don't worry, both of us are taking care of each other as well as Kol. He seems to really miss you. We all do.

I was able to decipher the message that you wrote in your letter. Thank you for using our code. I didn't think that we would get a chance to use it again after Keramzin. It was good to go through it again.

I will wait for you at the end of the trail in a month's time. I will wait for a week if that's what it takes to bring you home. Pack your supplies carefully and be armed.

I'll see you soon.

She gasped. Simon was coming for her. She was going to get out of Os Alta.