THIRTEEN

RIVER
━━━━━━(●'ω`●)━

"HEY, LEAVE ME ALONE you fuckin' Android!" Hank yells as you and Connor hoist him up from the ground clumsily. "Connor, stop, I don't wanna get up!"

You grit your teeth and struggle to pull him through the corridor, "I have to warn you, this may be unpleasant."

Connor laughs breathlessly, "You're just gonna go for a quick dip, Hank."

As it turns out, the Lieutenant is even heavier drunk than he is sober and half-hanging off a ledge.

"Get the fuckkk outtaaa my houseee!"

You ignore him. "I'm sorry Lieutenant, but I need you. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

"Hey! Get the fuck outta here! Sumo! Attack!" The dog snuffles lazily from where it sits in its doggy ebd.

"Good dog. Attack.... Fuck, I think I'm gonna be sick..." Hank breathes heavily, his chest rattling through the house. Connor drags him into the bathroom door and he grips the wall, determined to ignore your requests.

"Ah! Leave me alone, Connor! I'm not going anywhere... What the hell are you doing?.. I don't wanna bath, thank you..."

"Sorry, Hank," Connor manages to shove him through the doorway, "it's for your own good."

You give the Lieutenant a push and he lands inside his bathtub with a thump. He groans and his eyes flutter shut. You can guess that his head is probably spinning...

But that's not your problem.

Without showing even a glimmer of human remorse, you turn the shower tap on and watch as water drenches the half-drunken Hank.

"TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!" he shrieks as his hair flattens against his head.

Satisfied that he's completely sopping wet, you turn the shower tap off and stare at him intensely. Connor laughs into his hand from behind you, and though he tries to hide it with a fake cough, Hank still gives him a confused glare.

Hank shudders, "What the fuck are you two doing here?"

"A homicide was reported 43 minutes ago. Connor told me you'd be home, so we came here to get you," you say with a pleasant smile.

Connor nods. "Little did I know you'd be drinking yourself to death."

Hank stares down at his hands and sighs. Connor reaches forward and grabs Hank's arms to heave him out of the bathtub.

"Jesus, I must be the only cop in the world that gets assaulted in his own house by his own fuckin' android... Connor, why'd you have to help her, huh? What did I do to deserve this? Can't you just leave me alone?"

You pause, "Unfortunately, I cannot. I've been programmed to investigate this case and I can't do it without you."

"I don't give a shit about your goddamn case! Beat it! You hear me?! Get the hell outta here!"

Connor snorts, "C'mon Hank... I know you'll be interested once you hear what the case is about..."

The Lieutenant rolls his eyes.

You sigh with purpose and turn around so that your back faces Hank, "I agree, Lieutenant... A man found dead in a sex club downtown... Fascinating, isn't it? But I guess Connor and I will have to go on our own."

Connor still turns pink.

"You know, probably wouldn't do me any harm to get some air..." Hank quickly changes his mind, his interest piqued. "There're some clothes in the bedroom there. Connor, could ya get me something?"

The Detective nods, "What do you want to wear?"

"Whatever," Hank coughs and rushes to the toilet. He promptly throws up. "Just... just give me five minutes..."

You blink and turn away. "I will wait for you in the living room."

Connor nods and disappears into Hank's bedroom.

As you return to the lounge room, you set your eyes on Hank's television. It's on some mainstream news channel - CTN TV - and you decide to tune in as you wait for your partners.

"President Warren issued an official warning to Russia in her speech to Congress today, where she demanded that all Russian troops withdraw from the Arctic region immediately. The Kremlin has yet to respond, but this is clearly a new escalation in the conflic-"

You tune out. It's not relevant to any of your recent cases, so it doesn't concern you.

Nosing around, you make your way to Hank's kitchen and study his messy table. Discarded take-out boxes and beer cans are littered around the place, but something stands out.

It's a photo face-down on the table. You pick it up, curiously, and see the face of a young boy. He looks about five or six and he has messy brown hair and medium-blue eyes. He looks like the spitting image of Hank... And he reminds you a little of Connor...

You analyze his face. His name is Cole Anderson and he died in 2035 when he was only six years old.

Your LED flickers. He's Hank's son? You didn't know Hank had a son...

Slowly, you put the photo back down on the table, face-down just like how you had found it.

You turn away and look at the discarded pistol on the ground. There's a single bullet in it and the safety is off.

"What were you doing with the gun, Lieutenant?" you call, and you hear a splutter as Hank coughs into the toilet.

"Russian roulette!" he yells. "Wanted to see how long I'd last... Must've collapsed before I could find out."

You glance over your shoulder and watch Connor bring out an outfit. Unexpectedly, Connor doesn't seem surprised by Hank's concerning words.

Hank has suicidal tendencies? And Connor knows?

"You were lucky. The next shot would've killed you..." your voice trails off and you hear Connor lean against the doorway. Slowly, you put the gun back down on the ground and stand up straight.

Connor catches your eye and he silently shakes his head, telling you not to press the topic any further. You frown but nod nonetheless.

A few moments later, Hank opens the bathroom door and comes out looking pleased.

He wears an... interesting outfit. His shirt is white and orange with broad stripe patterns and a blue collar. The jacket he wears is a dark grey -- the same as Connor's. Clearly, the two share a similar taste in style.

Hank smiles a little. He seems proud of the way he looks -- for the first time ever -- considering he's finally out of his moth-bitten jumpers.

"You look great, Hank," Connor comments, a happy smile on his face.

Hank quietly grumbles but you see the way his eyes grow warm. The two have a unique relationship but you can see they share a very strong bond.

Sumo plods over to you, his ears pulled forward.

"Be a good dog, Sumo... I won't be long."

Connor smiles, "C'mon. I'll drive."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: omg we've hit 100 reads!!!!! thats so exciting thank you!!

also uh- im currently flooded out of my house (I live in Australia n my whole state is going under oof) so pls pray for me

I hope you enjoyed!! byeee