chapter 47 ~ sickness and health

"You had an aunt who lived in Phoenix?" I laughed as Monica and I drove down the highway.

"Yes! And she had a farm full or oranges and lemons"

The two of us jammed to the car's stereo as she turned off the road towards some restaurant.

"Let's get some great big steaks!" She cheered as we hopped out of the car. I laced my arm with hers, the two of us racing towards the building.

God it had been so long since the last time the two of us did anything normal. But to be honest anything was better than the last time we saw each other.

Hint hint, Thanksgiving dinner.

"And a pie" I laughed. "As long as we get a pie!"

The two of us took the table in the far corner as my mom ordered practically one of everything off the menu.

"You can pay for this right?" I asked, shoving the roll in my mouth. "I mean I'm not gonna have to sneak out the bathroom window like when I was little"

"What? I don't remember that" Of course she didn't, cause she was usually high whenever we went out to eat.

"Frank broke open the bathroom window....Ian and I tried to climb out but he cut his leg on the glass. Cried for almost an hour over the blood"

She started at me like I was insane as I slurped on my milkshake. It had lumps in it....stupid waitress.

"How old were you guys?" She laughed, stealing a piece of my pie.

"I think 6....maybe 7"  

"God, we had a lot of good times back then"

Right good times. Because being six years old and having to deal with my frantic twin brother was what every kid wanted to do.

"Whatever happened to that boyfriend of yours?" She laughed curiously. "Last time I was here he was in juvie"

Right Mickey....he had been blowing up my phone ever since Monica and I took off. God he needed to stop worrying all the time.

"We're still together" I shrugged. "But ever since this diagnosis things have been different....he's been more caring"

And don't get me wrong, I loved that he cared. But sometimes I wished he was still the boy I met the first time we hooked up. Y'know, the dirty white boy of the southside as V used to call him.

I looked down at my phone, once again ignoring his call. I mean it wasn't like I had run away again....I had just gone for a drive.

"What?" I laughed, my eyes catching hold of hers. She had been staring at me the last few minutes and honestly, it was starting to freak me out.

"You are a beautiful woman" She smiled. "I did a good fucking job making you"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------