Chapter 41: Rise of a Fallen Hero

Link got up from the small space between two trees where he had slept every night for the past five or six months.

It seemed funny that it had been nearly half a year since he left everyone else to die at Ganondorf's hand, and he couldn't believe it had been almost a year since he left the house in the Ordon Woods with Aryll and Epona.

Link had turned sixteen years old only a few days before he left home and began that foolish adventure, and now his seventeenth birthday was today, meaning Link would legally be an adult then.

Link walked through the forests, searching for some Woodland Boar to eat for Breakfast, since there were lots of boar in the woods between Faron Jungle and the Lost Woods.

But on this day, Link could barely see any of the beautiful wildlife in the darkness that shrouded over the forests.

From what Link had been noticing, there had been less and less animals each day in the past few months, and there were never any travelers in the woods.

It felt like Link was all alone in the woods, the woods that got darker each day and more gray as the trees were all dying.

Link knew deep down why the darkness was all around him, but he wanted to run away from the truth, the truth that it was all his fault and there was nothing he could do about it.

Link decided to move his supplies, so he walked into the Lost Woods, the ancient and sacred forest that was home to the Kokiri and the Koroks.

Link walked through the foggy Lost Woods, and the trees were mostly dead there too, and small forest fires could be seen in the distance.

Link almost bumped into a very tall Korok that was looking at the floor with a sad expression on his face, and two maracas were on the floor.

"Need help grabbing those, Hestu?" Link asked

"What's the point" Hestu sighed, and walked off with some other saddened Koroks.

Link walked over to the Kokiri Village, but it seemed abandoned, as if Saria, Mido, and the Kokiri were all gone....

Link walked past the Great Deku Tree, but it was silent, as if cursed by dark magic....

"You don't have to sit around and hide from the dark" a familiar voice spoke to Link "You can destroy the dark if you try"

"You again?" Link turned to face the Old Man, the one who had told him about getting the Dragon Scales, given him the Paraglider, and had informed him when Agahnim had captured Zelda.

"Yes, it is I, the simple Old Man that just wants to help" the Old Man chuckled "I am only here to help you"

"Shut up" Link replied "I'm going to head deeper into the forest, and hide there"

"You are already in the deepest part of the forest" the Old Man sighed "If you keep walking north, you will simply be leaving the forest"

"Well, then I guess I'll stay here" Link said, setting his pouch down on the ground "And if some Boar do come around, I'll just grab that weird glow sword over there"

Link pointed to a majestic sword in an ancient pedestal that had a blue handle with a yellow crystal in it.

The sword had light energy in it, and Link was not aware that this was the Blade of Evil's Bane, the Swords that Seals the Darkness.

It's light was very strong, and it was seemingly the last source of light in Hyrule, as the forest was shrouded in darkness and the lands outside of the forest were treacherous and covered in red skies and malice-covered dirt.