𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

"Everyone has something dark in their past. I suppose it's our job to overcome it. And if we can't overcome it, then all we can do is make the most of it."
— Tricia Levenseller, Daughter of the Pirate King
(𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑏𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑟𝑒𝑐𝑠?)

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯

Birthdays weren't something Jo enjoyed for herself. She hated her birthday. Not because of the cliche reasons of growing older or unwanted excessive amount of attention. That's not it at all. She and Jess hated their birthdays because of their past childhood experiences with them.

Ironically, Liz and Jimmy would plan something to celebrate their birthdays when they were little. Those plans were thrown together last minute. However, they also end the same. A big fight. Whether it be Jimmy was flirting with a waitress or Liz pick an argument that he doesn't spend time with the twins enough. It truly didn't matter what the fight was about, it just always happened, and the twins would spend their evening lock in the room trying to escape the reality of their life.

Since they turned eleven, Jo and Jess stopped celebrating their birthdays besides getting each other a small gift. Today was going to be no different.

Jumping from her bed and grabbing Jess's neatly wrapped present from under her bed, Jo excitedly walked over to Jess' bedroom door. Knocking before given the clear to enter, Jo walked in. "Happy Birthday, my amazing womb buddy!" She cheered loudly on purpose so she could wake him from his drowsy state.

Jess groaned as he rubbed his eyes. "Ew, don't call me that." He said with a sleepy voice.

"Womb buddy." Jo jumped on his bed, nearly squashing him. "Come get up and open your present." She said.

Jess sat up and grabbed a thin rectangular newspaper-wrapped box from his nightstand. Before he can hand it to her, she shoved his present to him. Ripping the uncreased wrapped paper, Jess's eyes widened when he saw his gift. "How in the hell did you get a signed vinyl from Black Sabbath! There are only —"

"Five in the country." Jo said with a grin. "I found it at a vinyl shop in Hartford."

"This is amazing! Thank you." He said, his eyes surveying every inch of the vinyl. "Here. Open yours." He said, putting down his new love and handed her the poorly wrapped present.

Quickly ripping it open and lifting the life of the small box, her jaw dropped. "You didn't not!" she said in disbelief as she lifted to inspect the Sapphire pendant with the engraving W.B. 9/16/1984, on the back. "I knew you secretly like your title as my womb buddy. And it's our birthstone! Thank you, this is iconic." She said laugh as she clasped the necklace around her neck.

"What can I say? I'm the more iconic twin." he said and flipped his imaginary hair over his shoulder with a sassy look on his face.

Jo laughed as she playfully shoved him. "You are such a dork." She chuckled

Once their laughs ceased, Jess softly smiled at Jo. "I'm happy that we are fighting anymore. It wasn't easy not to be able to talk to my best friend." He said

"No, it wasn't." She agreed and placed her hand over his, squeezing in reassurance. "But that's all behind us now. Today we worry about if Luke remembered our birthday."

Jess grimaced as he thought of the ways Luke would make this day a big deal. "God, no."

❀❀❀