Chapter 36

Adrenaline is pumping through Clarissa's veins as Daniel helps her into the carriage, leaving their guests and the lul of music behind them. She flops onto the plush seat and pulls her many layers of skirts close to her, creating space for him to climb in. He jumps in and slams the door shut, signalling for the driver to leave. He settles into the seat opposite her and the carriage jolts into action. He flashes her a bemused grin, crossing his long legs and relaxing into the leather. 

"I can't believe we did that," Clarissa smirks a little, her heart still racing. 

"Thank god we did, I couldn't stand a moment more in the company of those people," Daniel shakes his head in distaste, placing his hands behind his head. 

"You invited those people!" She accuses, a small chuckle slipping out. 

"No my mother did," He corrects, "I might know their names and their titles, but I have no personal connection to any of them, nor wish to." 

"Well, they certainly weren't there for me," She says, glancing out of the window, watching the dark urban landscape drift closer. An unknown tension begins to fall on her shoulders but she ignores it, focusing on the vanishing countryside. 

Daniel runs a hand through his hair, messing up the thick blonde strands. Clarissa's eyes are drawn to the movement and she finds herself wondering again what it would feel like to run her hands through it. 

His voice brings her back to reality, "At least we fooled them, I don't think we will have any socialities troubling us or contesting our marriage now," 

She blinks and quickly looks down at her lap, relieved that he hadn't noticed her staring, "Yes, which means we can move on to more important issues. Baines and Lestrade have no doubt heard of our union and will be organising a counter-attack as we speak," 

"All in good in time," Daniel says, "It will require careful planning to execute their downfall, we cannot be too hasty." 

Clarissa grumbles but doesn't disagree. Plotting the death and ruination of her enemies will help to silence the guilt that is twisting in her stomach, and she imagines that the destruction of Baines and Lestrade will fully justify her lying to everyone who knows her. She looks down at her wedding ring and the knot tightens. She did all that was expected of her today, she signed the licence, kissed her husband and played the perfect bride, all under the watchful eye of the ton. Now that she is not under any scrutiny, the true realisation of her actions is beginning to settle upon her. She lied to many people tonight, and she must continue this act until the contract is fulfilled. 

Around 20 minutes later the carriage arrives at Lygon Place and enters through the tall gates that clang shut behind them. Clarissa rotates her neck to alleviate the stiffness before Daniel helps her out. She frowns as she steps onto the cobbles, looking at the dark house. There is no light sparking from the windows and there are no servants waiting outside to welcome them home. 

"I told my staff to go to bed early," He says when she shoots him a confused look. He then walks up the steps and unlocks the front door. She follows him into the house, looking around as they walk into the hallway. A single lit candelabra waits on the nearest side table and the duke picks it up, throwing the warm light over the area in front of him. 

"I thought it would be less stressful to not have to act in front of the staff tonight," He explains, holding the candles higher and starting up the staircase. She hurries after him, her heels padding on the soft carpet. She sticks close to his shoulder so that she share the light and avoid bumping into anything. The house seems ghostly and quiet in the dark, the dim light throws the many paintings and sculptures into distorted relief and there no sound apart from the two of them.