Chapter 37

When Clarissa wakes up she rolls over onto Daniel's side and yawns, oblivious to where she is. She is brushing hair from her face and rubbing her eyes when she suddenly remembers that she is not in her own bed. She sits up immediately but the duke's side of the bed is cold and vacant and she is alone in the tangled covers. Relief pours through her when she realises that she is alone, she yawns and stretches, looking around. The room appears so different in the morning light and now she can fully appreciate the light walls, dark wood interior and handsome furnishings.  It's more classically decorated than hers, with a dark wooden bedframe, matching chests and two leather chairs around the fireplace.

Her gaze falls on a silk white robe that has been laid across the nearest chair. She climbs out of bed and scopes up the robe, wrapping it around her and tying the belt. The doors to her quarters stand wide open so she wanders through them, admiring her new rooms as she goes. They are even more beautiful and spectacular in the day. 

She walks into the bedroom and finds Alice waiting for her by the door to the dressing room. The maid quickly helps to do her hair and to dress her in a deep violet gown with silver lace while they chat about last night. As expected Alice chastises her for cutting up the wedding dress but Clarissa quickly excuses herself in the direction of breakfast, promising to talk to her about last night in full detail later. 

Armed with some complex instructions on how to find the breakfast room Clarissa leaves her rooms but she takes a wrong turn and ends up walking around the corridors, completely lost.  She feels like she has been walking for hours when she spots the housekeeper exiting one of the servant's stairwell and Mrs Hill kindly directs her to the first floor. 

Daniel looks up from his newspaper at the head of the table when Clarissa enters. His eyes briefly roam over her dress before glancing away without even greeting her. In the room, there are three servers waiting by the walls, one steps forward and pulls out her chair for her. She confidently strides towards her place to the right of the duke, smiling at the servant and sitting down. She tucks her skirts around her and admires the vast spread of food in front of her. Fruit, bread and pastries cover the table, and a pot of tea waits next to two cups and saucers, as well as milk and sugar. It all looks and smells delicious. 

"You're here at last," Daniel folds his paper and puts it to the side. He reaches for the bread and begins to butter two thick white slices.

"I didn't realise you would be waiting for me," Clarissa says, taking a croissant and piling a selection of fruit onto her plate. One of the servers approaches the table and offers to pour her a cup of tea. She gladly accepts but the duke waves him away when he hovers the teapot above his empty cup. She takes a sip of her tea and then starts to eat. As she didn't eat much yesterday, she is grateful to have a substantial breakfast in front of her, and a delectable one at that. 

"I have something to discuss with you," Daniel says as beckons over the main butler who hands him a piece of paper. Clarissa pauses, mid-chew. 

 "Leave us," Daniel orders with a flick of the hand, and the three servers promptly leave the room. 

The door shuts and she swallows, narrowing her eyes at him, her fork poised over a strawberry.  He slides the paper over to her side of the table and she regards it suspiciously. 

"What is this?" 

"Your list of approved visitors," Daniel states. She puts her fork down, her attention fully captured. She stares at him. 

"What?" 

"The front gate is always guarded," He explains, "These are the only people who will be permitted entry to visit you,"