Chapter 38

The Blue Anchor Public House is a small pub just off the corner of Selwyn Avenue in the northeast quarter of Westminster. It is tucked behind a pie shop and is rarely visited as the food is appalling and the drink is diluted. However, this disastrous pub is staying in business due to the private rooms available for hire on the first floor. A hidden entrance is used to access them, therefore it eliminates the fear of being recognised when you can simply slip from your carriage, down the alley and up the stairs. The reclusive owner, quiet locals and dingy walls leave you able to conduct whatever shady business you wish.

This afternoon Clarissa's and Daniel's people are crammed into one of these rooms, with some sitting around the long table in the middle, and the rest lounging against the walls. Clarissa finds herself sitting with George on one side, Peter on the other and Daniel opposite her. Next to him is Phill and a silent man who George tells her is the head of their guard. Chuck and Jack are also present with a few more high ranking and influential members of The Strand and a number of Cavendish's men.

After the hurried introductions and awkward greetings, the meeting begins and Clarissa becomes aware of the strange glances that she is receiving, off her people and her husband's. Half of the room is aware of the marriage contract between her and Daniel and the other half has been told the fairytale, with some editing to allow for them to work together and combine forces, therefore she does her best to avoid their curious eyes and concentrates on what's being said.

"The fact is we need to weaken their hold on Lambeth and Southwark. If we target their trade and it will decrease the funds they have coming in and make them more vulnerable," One of Daniel's men says and he receives a few nods of agreement.

"What is their main source of income?" Phill asks.

"Tobacco," Chuck grunts.

"So we target their tobacco imports. We could go for their ports here, the seaside ports or even send some men to the plantations..."

"That would take weeks that we don't have," George says, "And we can't spare anyone to send them to the coast, let alone America or Australia," He looks to Clarissa who also shakes her head.

"We need to learn their schedule," Peter says, "Find out where they dock, and when, and then we can organise a sabotage mission. A few well-placed lighters will shake them up and send a strong message, if not bring down their operation, even if it's for a short time,"

"I agree," Daniel says, surprising both Peter and Clarissa, "There has been no response from us since their last attack, they will be expecting something short and brutal so that means we do the opposite, we play the long game. Their tobacco is just the beginning, we need to topple them into the ground. Their hold on any political office is weak so I am confident that Clarissa and I can break any of those ties and leave them friendless. I know that their influence within black market trade is strong so that will be a trickier job but if we will study their every move, learn how they operate then we can bring them down from within."

Clarissa regards the duke carefully, he holds everyone's attention as he talks, commanding the space with efficiency. Even her people are listening to his every word, respect and understanding on their faces. Part of her wonders how much attention and respect he would get if he was female, and not as pleasing to look at. The focused and direct way he talks makes her believe that he could be suggesting any crackpot idea and his audience would agree and nod obediently. That's the power of being male, arrogant and handsome.

"Tobacco is the first step, we need to disrupt their routine," Daniel finishes, placing the tips of his fingers together and reading the room.

"We should strike them at their weak point," Peter agrees, looking at the duke with a shred of respect. There is a general mumble of an agreement but Clarissa remains silent.