Chapter 40

Standing on the deck, Clarissa watches the water dancing in the summer sun. It's a beautiful day to be on the water with only a slight breeze in the air. Loud shouts and cheery faces are dotted along the Thames with fisherman and tradesmen going about their business in the sunshine. Among the working class are a few noblemen and their wives, relaxing in their little riverboats, their servants working hard to row them upstream. 

Daniel's boat trip turns out to be a giant trading vessel, normally used for transporting cargo around England and therefore it looms over the other boats as they pass. It is around 17 meters of hard varnished wood with several towering masts and wide billowing sails. Named, The White Rose, it is an impressive but practical boat with a raised quarterdeck where the captain is standing, steering the course. Daniel is at his side, nodding his head and listening as the captain points out features of the ship. 

Clarissa turns away from them.  She is standing on the forecastle, her hands on the flaking wood of the railings as the water parts beneath her. She has been on many boats such as this, she owns a few herself, but today there is a sick feeling in her stomach and it has nothing to do with the lul of the water. She hasn't spoken to Daniel since he led her onto the deck but she keeps trying to read his expression from under her lashes, however, the infuriating man is keeping his feelings firmly locked away. The hemlock keeps edging back into her thoughts, its tiny little bottle pictured in her minds-eye as she stares across the riverbank. 

She tenses when she hears the sound of shoes on steps as Daniel leaves the wheel and crosses down the starboard side, hopping up the stairs to stand next to her. She slowly turns around and leans against the side of the boat to observe him. The bright sunlight brings out the golden shades in his hair and highlights the light tone of his skin. 

"Are you enjoying yourself?" He asks, folding his arms behind him. 

Clarissa fixes him with a calculating glare, "Why am I here?" 

"I beg your pardon," He clears his throat, frowning. 

"Why have you brought me here?" She repeats slowly. 

He scowls at her patronising tone, glancing across to the quarterdeck where the captain and crew have a level view of them. He takes in her hard expression with a sigh and surprises her by seizing her hand and dragging her down the stairs. On the main deck, he pulls them forward until her back hits the main mast and they are out of sight. 

"What do you think you are doing?" She demands outraged, pulling her hand free. 

Daniel's eyes flicker to above her right shoulder and some of the tension in his frame loosens, "I don't appreciate our conversations being watched." He looks back to her, only a few inches separating them, "To answer your question, my mother mentioned that you were  feeling...neglected," 

"I am not feeling neglected!" Clarissa snaps immediately, a tiny hint of pink in her cheeks. She cannot describe the relief that fills her that her complaint is the reason they are out today and not her murderous intent. He raises his eyebrows at her in disbelief. The amusement that dances in his eyes grates on her nerves and she glowers at him, her fear gone. 

"It is of no consequence regardless, " She says firmly, unwilling to dive into this conversation. She turns to walk away but a strong arm shoots out in front of her, blocking her path and trapping her against the mast. 

"Don't walk away from me when we haven't finished talking," Daniel states calmly. 

"I've finished talking," She retorts, "Please let me passed,"

"I want to discuss this further," He says, not moving. 

"Noted, now move your arm," She replies through gritted teeth.