New Recruits

The golden dust had barely settled before the monster army disappeared with the rising sun.

Ali led Aubrey and the boy through the bustling campers and centaurs. They'd survived another night, but they'd also given up a lot of ground. If they didn't get reinforcements, they wouldn't make it through the next fight.

Base camp was moved into the Empire State Building. Sleeping mats were scattered across the lobby floor and Apollo kids rushed around, treating injuries.

"Wait here." Ali left her companions near the door and maneuvered over to where Percy was standing near the main desk. "Can we talk?"

He hesitated before nodding.

Ali pulled him aside. "I have some new recruits." She nodded at Aubrey and the boy. She felt bad that she didn't know his name.

Percy stared at them for a moment. "Let me guess. You met them when you were working for Kronos."

"Yes, but..."

"No." He crossed his arms. "They can't be trusted."

"You said you trusted me." She countered.

"I do, but..."

"Well, I trust them." She reasoned. "They challenged Kronos to protect me. They saved my life."

He glared in Aubrey's direction.

"You said it yourself." She reminded. "Everyone deserves a second chance."

He sighed. "Alright, but if something goes wrong..."

"It's my fault." She finished. "I know the drill."

"Ali..."

"I'm going to get them settled in." She turned and walked away.
                                     *   *   *
Aubrey followed close behind Ali as they wove through the crowd. They finally stopped by a boy lying on a cot.

His shaggy black hair was plastered to his forehead with sweat and his face was contorted in pain. He was missing the bottom half of his right leg, just above the knee.

Aubrey immediately dropped to her knees and started digging in her bag. She peeled back the bloody bandage and cringed. "Well, the good news is he'll live, but it's a good thing you brought me to him."

Ali nodded. "You'd think with an injury like this, he wouldn't be neglected, but there aren't enough of us."

Aubrey shot her a sad look. "Yeah... sorry about that." She began unwinding the bandage, revealing the blood-stained nub beneath.

The boy flinched and opened his eyes. "How's it look?"

Aubrey smiled warmly at him. "It's nothing I can't handle." She popped the cork on her canteen. "What's your name?" She struck up a conversation with the boy to distract him as she poured the stinging nectar over his wound.

"Thomas." He managed through gritted teeth.

"Well, Thomas," She replied cheerily. "I'll have you fixed up in no time." Her smile fell. "Although, I can't do anything about the missing leg."

Thomas gave her a pained smirk. "Don't worry. I can."

"Oh really?" She pulled a clean bandage from her bag.

Thomas sucked in a long breath. "Yep. Son of Hephaestus." He released it as she drew the cloth strip tight. "I'll have a replacement in no time."

"Clever Boy." She stuffed her supplies back into her bag. "Can't wait to see it."

Ali turned and made her way back towards the door. Thomas was in good hands.

When she reached the sidewalk outside, she noticed the boy who had helped her standing there, staring at the sky. "You should really get some rest."

The comment made him jump. He looked at her. "I can't."

"Because of your friend." She deduced. "I'm sorry."

He stared at the ground. "He was my brother." His voice broke over the words.

That's when Ali realized that the two boys looked almost exactly alike. "He was your twin."

The boy nodded. "He'd always had eyes for Aubrey." He chuckled. "I used to joke that she would get him killed." His voice faltered and he hugged himself. "Sometimes I hate being right."

Ali awkwardly placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Me too."
* * *
Ali glanced at Aubrey and Thomas as she passed through the lobby. They were still talking and laughing. Good. They both deserved a break, a chance to forget where they were.

"How are you holding up?" Annabeth's voice drew Ali out of her thoughts.

She shrugged. "We're at war. I could be better."

"Yeah." Annabeth agreed, leaning back against the wall. "But that's not what I meant."

Ali met her gaze knowingly. "I know what you meant."

"And..."

Ali sighed. "Same answer." She ripped a string off her shirt and started twisting it. "I know it's over and, honestly, I expected it, but... that doesn't make it hurt less."

Annabeth straightened and grabbed Ali's hand. "It's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay."

Ali nodded, not trusting her voice.

Annabeth pulled her into a hug. "You're the strongest person I know." She pulled back. "Trust yourself. You'll be fine."

Ali sank into another quick hug. "Thank you, Annabeth."

She smiled at her. "Anytime."
* * *
The beginning of the end started with a violent crash outside the Empire State Building. Laistrygonian giants were making their way through the streets of Manhattan smashing cars. Thankfully, the only ones in their way were empty.

Percy, Annabeth, and Ali led the able-bodied campers outside. The western horizon was tinged orange and the sky was turning a dark purple.

Ali shot Percy and Annabeth a look that said "this is it." No matter how this fight went, it ended tonight. They couldn't last any longer. This was it. This was the end. Win or lose, this was their last stand.

A/N
Day 6
So... there are about 2 chapters left in this story. 🥺
I don't know how to feel!!!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
-Cheshire