𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

can still feel myself being very queasy after that awful meeting with Shigure. His snide remarks and daunting eyes keep sending shivers up my spine. "Well, it's not like today could get any worse. And hey, if it does, I have takeout in the fridge!"

"Yuihiso?" Oh wow, it just got worse.

In the blues of his irises, I look for a ray of hope. A pinch of good luck. "Hatori..."

"I- God, I suck at apologies." He clears his throat. A slight tint of red appears on his face from embarrassment.

"Apologies?" I tilt my head slightly. "Why would you need to apologize. After all, I was the one who cursed your ex-fiance, broke a cup of yours, and was a major brat. I should apologize, not the other way around."

"You did act like a brat." He chuckles lightly.

I puff out my cheeks trying, to find a response. Why must Hatori make it so that I'm at a loss for words! "Yeah, well, whatever!"

Which, of course, makes him chuckle even more. "I still hate Kana. However, I should have kept them to myself. It's clear that you are very protective of her, and what I said was very rude. And I should have kept it to myself." I press my pointer fingers together, reminding myself to keep the amount of blushing to a low. "It's just, you're someone I care about, Hatori, and I want to see you happy and healthy."

"Thank you." His smile is faint but detectable. "It's been some time since someone cared."

"Geez! That makes you even sadder sounding! Like a little puppy dog!" I blurt out.

"Whatever are you going on about, Yui?"

"Yui?" Since when have I been Yui??

"Oh, sorry, I guess Ayame's and the others' nickname for you just rubbed off on me."

"No, I like it! It sounds so natural coming from you!" And just as I finish my sentence, a light snowflake lands on my nose. "Oh, it's snowing!"

I have never had the fondest memories related to winter and snow. But, standing here, having this wonderful conversation with Hatori, I can't help but feel optimistic.

"So it seems it would... Yui." He looks up at the sky, joy filling his face. "Tell me, what happens when the snow melts?"

"Silly question coming from you. Logically one would say water, but if you tend to be more of a dreamer, you would say something like spring." The question, in all honesty, sounds like something Kana would ask.

"But what do you say?"

What is my response? "Well, when the snow melts, people tend to think spring comes, but then spring comes and pulls a trick on you, it continues to be cold and rain, making it feel even worse like it was a lie." Realizing that my answer is all over the place, I quickly apologize. "What I meant it, enjoy the snow. Don't rush it to leave and melt."

Silence falls over the two of us, so instead, I stare up at the newly white sky and take it the beauty. "This makes me want to recite that poem by Ryokan."

"I didn't know you were into poetry." Hatori comments.

"I only learned this one for a school performance." Blending with the wind, snowfalls.

"Oh?" Blending with the snow, the wind blows.

"I hate the performance though, neither of my parents came. But, that's very normal for me." By the hearth, I stretch out my legs.

"I guess you don't like your parents, huh?" Idling my time away, confined in this hut.

"It's a mixed fruits basket when it comes to my parents. My mom was okay for the most part, but my father never wanted children in the first place."

Counting the days, I find that February too has come and gone, like a dream.