Chapter 28: The Dark Truth

There were murmurs everywhere in the castle and the royals were missing from their usual place in the Grand Palace. Irina and another Grisha were talking to each other in whispers when Adaline joined them.

Maxwell was nowhere to be seen, which was worrisome. "Oh, he is out on an assignment." Irina told her.

"So early?" He must have left in the middle of the night or before that, she thought.

"It was important, apparently. But he made sure to say goodbye before. He is such a shy person. I don't know how we're together right now." She blushed.

The whispers increased and irritated Adaline. She couldn't think properly. "What is all the fuss about? What has changed?"

"Oh that!" Her face became serious. "The Prince has fallen ill. The royals are trying to find a cure for him. Apparently he fell unconscious in the middle of a meeting and blood flew out of his ears. They don't know what has happened and have requested to be left alone for a while."

But since she and Stefan were friends, Adaline assumed that she would be an exception. At least, those were the rumours. She didn't want to prove them right but a part of her wanted to check up on him. As much as she lied to him and herself, she cared for him.

So, she made her way to his room when dinnertime arrived, because that was when she could sneak around the castle without being stopped by anyone and without having to face the side sneers.

Right as she was about to knock on the door that was said to be the Prince's room, there was a whirring from inside, which made her hide herself behind a tapestry nearby. The Healer that had been called was leaving the room.

"Will he be okay?" Adaline recognised the Princess' voice.

"I can't say for sure but I will do my best. I must consult some books about certain herbs that will help him but until then, I suggest he get some rest. I may not have helped him as much as the...."

The two of them were walking towards the stairwell and Adaline knew that that was her best chance to see Stefan. Walking into the room, she was met with a warm air. The drapes on the windows were shut and the wood in the fireplace was cracking. There was a huge ashwood bed in the middle of the room and it was hard not to notice goldilocks lying there with his eyes closed.

It took everything in her power to not whimper because seeing Stefan so lifeless and still did not help her emotions. As much as she hated his guts, he was a good person. He had good intentions and she trusted him.

She walked towards the bed. "Oh Stefan."

Only one thought entered her head as she saw his pale face. Her eyes filled with rage when she considered the possibility. With all the rumours that were going on, he was the only person who could have made such a bold move.

Before she could leave, the door opened. "You!" Adaline turned her head and saw the anger in the Princess' eyes. "You did this."

"What? I had nothing to do with this. What could I have possibly done?"

"You're the Darkling's girl, aren't you? You think that you can play with Stefan's feelings and then hurt him like this?"

She inhaled sharply. So she wasn't actually paranoid for thinking about the possibility. "I did no such thing. You should consider the facts properly without accusing someone of what you consider to be treason. I know that you don't like me but how could you think that I would hurt him? He's my...."

"Adaline...." Stefan whimpered.

A small smile returned to her face when she heard him speak. "I'm here, Stefan." She took his hand in hers. He opened his eyes up and the tears left her eyes. "Hi!"