#013

chapter 13

That evening, a familiar brunette was seen walking through the halls of the City Hospital.  However, her usual frown and tight expression were nowhere to be seen. Light danced in Song Yoon-ah's eyes instead as she glowed with happiness. 

Her sister had promised not to push Yoon-ah away if the girl vowed not to forsake her high school life for visiting Hyun-jae, and Yoon-ah had agreed to the arrangement quite eagerly

Her sister had promised not to push Yoon-ah away if the girl vowed not to forsake her high school life for visiting Hyun-jae, and Yoon-ah had agreed to the arrangement quite eagerly. It was as though her deepest longings were coming true.  

With two bottles of iced coffee in her hands, Song Yoon-ah pushed open the metalled double doors to enter the VIP general ward. 

"Heyyy kiddo!" her sister greeted her enthusiastically. 

"Hey!" Yoon-ah smiled and handed Hyun-jae one of the bottles. "Here's you go. I could not find your usual at the drinks counter. Had Sister Chong known I bought you even this, she would have killed me." 

"Oh, nonsense," Hyun-jae giggled conspiratorially. "I honestly feel so much better now. How about eating some street food? I have eaten nothing but hospital food for so long, that if I even try to eat that one more time... I will throw up."

"Aigoo," Yoon-ah clicked her tongue, watching her sister eagerly tear open the sealed cap of the small bottle. "Who would believe you're the elder one among us, huh, eunnie?"

In a childish move, Hyun-jae stuck her tongue out at Yoon-ah. "Look at my baby sister," she cooed. "She speaks like she's all grown up."

"Eunnie!" Yoon-ah cried out, laughing and sliding into the seat beside the ailing girl. "I'm not your 'baby sister'. You're not even 6 years older than me." 

"You mean 6 years, 3 months, and 15 days, love?" Hyun-jae corrected with a smirk. "Now, when I count in that way, comparing the number of days I have lived more than you and the acquired immeasurable knowledge, you would see that-."

"Okay, okay," Yoon-ah laughed. "I see your point, you win."

"Of course I do," Hyun-jae scoffed haughtily. "You know, when I was your age, we were in awe of our elders. Look at you going on about the nickname that I so-lovingly called you. Brat."

"Now, now, don't start off with 'when I was your age' like an old person," she shot back with a smile. "It doesn't suit you at all."

"Aishhh, look at this girl," her elder sister laughed, taking a sip of the iced coffee and scrunching her nose up in disgust. "This damned drink tastes so bitter. Why are you so fond of it?"

Yoon-ah shrugged, laughing as she took a swig of her own drink, reveling in the strong taste that slid down her throat. "Where is appa?" she asked.

"He went to America for a meeting yesterday, didn't he tell you?"

"No.." echoed, her eyes moving down to her hands. Much to her surprise, this information didn't hurt her like it once did, for she had quite grown to come to terms with it.