Forty five

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Y/N

I looked at myself in the mirror, patting some nonexistent dust off the dress I was wearing. The dress was beautiful and Kaguya and I had spent all day searching for a nice dress to wear tonight. Prom was only in a about an hour and I honestly started to get nervous.

Was I making a mistake when I agreed to go with Marco?

I went on my phone, scrolling through some useless apps before putting my phone away and opening the door for the person who knocked on it. Kurumi. She wore a black suit and her hair was pulled into a high ponytail. She looked beautiful.

''Hey,'' she whispered before I let her into my room. She took a seat on my bed, fiddling nervously with the fabric of my blanket. I stared at her whilst tilting my head, confused why she seemed so awkward.

''So, you're really going with Marco,'' she finally spoke, avoiding eye contact.

''Hm? Yeah, I suppose,'' I chuckled before walking to my desk. I started to clean up my desk a little, suddenly feeling like my room is unnecessarily messy. ''Are you alright?'' I asked Kurumi, who didn't say much.

''I'm fine... but are you sure about this?'' she started, standing up and playing with the rings around her fingers, ''you still love Levi. Are you sure it's a good idea to go with someone who obviously has a crush on you?''

''Eh? I mean, maybe Marco and I could—''

''Why didn't you want to go with me?'' she suddenly blurted out, closing her eyes in embarrassment as her face turned a deep shade of red. I stared at her, eyes widened and jaw dropped in shock. The rain outside blew against the windows, adding some kind of mood to the room.

''What do you mean? I thought you were joking when you asked me to go with you.''

''I wasn't joking.''

''You weren't? I'm sorry for thinking so,'' I apologised, feeling guilt creep onto me. I didn't know she was serious when she asked me to be her date for prom. She would always make some sort of flirty jokes, but I always assumed she was just joking.

''It's not that I particularly have feelings for you,'' she began with a firm voice, confidence showing through her words, ''but I do think you're attractive. You're sweet and you're stunning. I just thought it would cause fewer problems for you if you went with me instead of Marco.''

''Are you asking me to cancel my plans with Marco?'' I asked her.

We looked at each other in astonishment. Kurumi starting to feel ashamed of her request and I was just calmly listening to her. ''No, it's fine now. You can go with him,'' she sighed, sitting back down on my bed.

''But I'm upset with you for not taking my invite serious,'' she lost no time to add. She had her brows knit together and her lips were in a cute pout. She looked adorable.

''I'm sorry, Kurumi,'' I sighed as I took a seat next to her, ''you're just always joking around! I didn't expect you to actually want to go with me to prom. You are right, though. Going with you would cause fewer problems if Levi would find out.''

''Do you think he will get jealous if you go with Marco?'' she asked, ''are you sure you want to do this?'' she had a certain tone of voice, sceptical and a little condescending, which made her sound like a mother whose daughter was coming home from prom.

''I don't know. I don't feel like he is the jealous type. Although he did get jealous when Reiner was being annoying, I just don't think he would be jealous now.'' I was probably right. Levi wouldn't get jealous if he found out I was going to prom with Marco. Why would he be? He chose to break contact between us.

A knock on the door caused Kurumi and me to both turn our heads. I stood up, opened the door which revealed a heavily blushing Marco. He held another bouquet of roses in his hand, handing them over to me.

''Thank you, Marco,'' I blushed as I smelled the fresh roses, ''let's go!'' I quickly put the flowers in some kind of vase before locking arms with Marco. Kurumi didn't say a word to Marco, she was probably the one being jealous now.

We finally reached the cafeteria. The place we would usually eat our meals was turned into a beautifully themed prom room. People were dancing, eating, talking, drinking and laughing. I looked up at Marco, who simply smiled at me.

''Should I get you a drink?'' he asked nervously. I could tell this was probably his first— or one of his first times being on a date with a girl. I nodded and Marco nodded back, quickly walking over to the table with various foods and drinks.

''Hey, Y/N!'' I heard a male voice behind me say and I quickly turn around, facing Eren. The girl next to him gave me a death glare but quickly stopped when Eren awkwardly elbowed her.

''Hey, Eren,'' I smiled at him, ''and it's nice to meet you, Mikasa.''

Mikasa's lips turned into the smallest smile possible, reminding me a lot of Levi. Who also always was barely able to smile. It was cute and I loved it. It felt special when he smiled to me because he rarely ever did so. His smile was the most beautiful I had ever seen.

⋅⊰⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅

A few hours passed and it was now past midnight. I was surprisingly having a lot of fun with Marco, being able to talk to him easily and having a lot in common. We sat outside, getting a little tired of the crowd inside. I was getting tired as I stared up at the stars, listening to Marco ramble about random things.

I'm glad he was less shy around me, it felt comfortable between us.

''—And I like you.''

I hum, barely even paying attention to what he was saying to me. My mind was clouded. As much as I wanted to enjoy tonight and forget about my feelings, I couldn't help but think about Levi. What if he was here tonight? If nothing bad happened to us, then what would have happened at prom?

''Y/N?''

The fact that it had been a few weeks and I still am madly in love with him is tiring. It's annoying because it's a one-sided thing now.

''Y/N!'' Marco slightly raised his voice, finally catching my attention as I glare at him.

''I'm sorry.''

''It's okay,'' he smiled, rubbing my lower back kindly, ''I- I like you, Y/N,'' he repeated himself. My lips slightly parted, an uncomfortable feeling flowing through my veins. He just confessed to me.

''I—'' I muttered, but in reality, I didn't have a reply for him. I didn't like him like that. Actually, that should be my answer; I don't like you like that, Marco. I'm sorry. As much as I loved to say that, my body froze and I was unable to speak.

I watched him lean in, our faces getting closer to each other and I could swear I can feel his breath on my lips. I shake my head, leaning back to increase the space between us. He frowned for a second before going back to his cheery self, laughing awkwardly.

''I'm sorry, Marco. I don't like you like that.''