Chapter 9

WARNING: This chapter includes Gore, violence, guns, swearing. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Death was strange to Maki. One seconds, you could be laughing with somebody, and the next you could be holding them as they bled in your arms, the light fading each passing second.

"Mr. David?"

"Hm?" He walked next to the young girl who looked at him, eyes full of curiosity and knowledge.

"Why are you so nice to me?" He placed his cigar away, throwing it in the garbage.

"Why not?" She opens her mouth to reply but finds she can't. He chuckles and smiles at her.

"I guess you deserve that kindness."

"Why?"

"Because you're so unbelievably kind and caring even though your aware of how disgusting, and cruel this world is, it's insane. You somehow keep that innocence to you, but still have a sense of maturity and wisdom too..."

"Oh..." She looks down. "Thank you." He grins.

"Anyways~ Let's make this walk faster. It's almost midnight, after all-"

*SPLAT*

*THUD*

"MR.DAVID?" 

Inoichi's eyes widen in shock as the man fell backwards and onto the ground limply.

"Shit! We accidentally killed a man!" The men ran away as her gaze fell on them before returning to David in shock.

"M-Mr. David?" 

He smiled.

He.

Smiled.

At A Time Like This.

"That's...Blood..." She said, though the smile on his lips never fell.

"Heh Heh..." He chuckled hoarsely. "I guess the world really hates me. Just when I was going to adopt you too...How cruel..." She furrowed her brows.

He was just hurt, right...?

"Adopt...Me?" He nodded.

"I found out what your parents were doing..." Her breath hitched.

"How?" He laughed though it soon turned to a cough as blood splattered on her gray sweatshirt. Sirens rang, as the ambulance from a distance drove towards them.

He was just hurt.

He would be okay tomorrow, right?

...