Chapter 18: Hange's Recovery

(Y/N) woke up to the streaming light coming in from the window. She turned over and was shocked to see Hange sleeping next to her before she remembered where she was. (Y/N) sat up and rubbed her eyes, adjusting to the light. She glanced over at Hange and smiled. Hange was laying on her back (unable to sleep on her sides because of her cast), her messy brown hair all over her face.

(Y/N) stifled a giggle. Leave it to Hange to get her hair in a mess without doing anything. She leaned forward and brushed a few strands off of Hange's eyelids. Hange let out a light snore, still sleeping despite the growing light. (Y/N) titled her head and watched Hange sleep. The sun's rays fell on Hange's sleeping face perfectly. She admired the slope of her hooked nose, the curve of her chapped lips, her long eyelashes.... (Y/N) shook her head. Admiring Hange while she slept was creepy.

(Y/N) carefully got out of the bed, grabbed her jacket, and tiptoed out of the room. She pulled her jacket on and made her way to the mess hall to grab breakfast for herself and Hange.

"(Y/N)!"

(Y/N) turned around to see Moblit walking behind her. She grinned and waited for him to catch up. "Hey, Moblit!"

"Hey yourself! How's it going?" Moblit slung an arm around (Y/N)'s shoulder and they continued to walk to the mess hall.

"Okay, I guess."

"So....?" Moblit asked, his eyebrows raised.

(Y/N) looked at him confused. "Huh?"

"Did you bathe her?"

(Y/N) flushed, pulling away. "Really? You're going to ask me that first thing in the morning?"

"I—well I thought it was a big deal!"

"It was, but not that big enough for you to ask me that eagerly," (Y/N) swatted him. "Don't be a pervert."

"How am I a pervert?" Moblit asked, incredulously. "You're the one who bathed her!"

"Shut up," (Y/N) stated as they reached the mess hall. The breakfast options for today included porridge or small loaves of bread. There was also a container of hot tea.

"I think I'll grab her some bread and tea," (Y/N) mumbled. "Porridge isn't really her favorite."

"I'll come with you. I haven't seen section commander Hange in a while."

"Are you going to take over as assistant?" (Y/N) asked, slightly worried.

"Not yet, my ribs still ache occasionally. I won't be able to help her get around," he smirked. "Don't worry, she's still all yours."

"I did...bathe her, by the way," (Y/N) grabbed two loaves of bread and a cup of warm tea.

"I'm not going to ask how it went," Moblit chuckled.

"Good, there's nothing to say. Did you grab your breakfast?"

Moblit nodded and they made their way back to Hange's room, debating whether porridge was superior or bread. (Y/N) was on team bread all the way. (Y/N) opened the door to the room. Hange was sitting up on the bed, and when she noticed (Y/N) coming in, she pouted.

"I thought you left me to fend for myself!" Hange said sadly. She looked behind (Y/N) and waved when she noticed Moblit. "Oh, hi Moblit!"

"Oh, sorry Hange! I was just getting you some breakfast," (Y/N) hurried to Hange's side, showing her the food she brought back.

"Then you're forgiven," Hange grinned, taking the warm cup of tea, struggling to keep it still in her shaky hand.

"How are you doing, section commander?" Moblit asked.

"I'm feeling better. I feel like the casts should come off in another week! I miss having you around, Moblit, other people aren't as ready to participate in my experiments like you were!"

"Don't worry, section commander. My ribs will probably be healed completely by the end of next week too."

"That's great!" Hange said excitedly. "Then we can get started on the real experiments!"

(Y/N) rolled her eyes, smiling, and extended a piece of the bread to Hange. Instead of taking it, Hange leaned forward and ate it from (Y/N)'s hands, like she had done days before.

Moblit didn't react, knowing that they were on thin ice since Hange found out (Y/N) had liked a girl. But (Y/N) could tell by the glint in his eyes that he was dying to tease her. (Y/N) shot out a quick glare before extending a piece of bread again.

"I was wondering if I could steal (Y/N) for the day," Moblit started. "Captain Levi needed a scout to complete some paperwork for him, and he asked if (Y/N) could do it since she was used to doing yours."

(Y/N) turned to look at him, confused. Moblit hadn't mentioned anything like that while they were talking. And why did he always suggest her name to anyone who was looking for work? She reminded herself to scold him later.

"Borrow (Y/N)? Who will help me?" Hange frowned.

"I'll send over someone else."

"Sorry, Moblit. Tell shorty to find someone else for his work, (Y/N) is mine."

(Y/N) inhaled shakily, struck by Hange's possessiveness. She turned her attention to ripping pieces of the bread into bite-size chunks for Hange to eat.

"Of course, section commander!" Moblit smirked.

Hange leaned forward again to eat the next bite of bread that (Y/N) extended. This time, her tongue slowly ran over the tips of (Y/N)'s fingers, lightly coating them in saliva. (Y/N)'s eyes widened slightly. She was sure that had been an accident, but it still caused explosions in her stomach, nonetheless. Hange's eyes studied (Y/N)'s face while she chewed and swallowed the bite of bread, a curious look on her face.

"Well, I better get going. It was nice seeing you, section commander!" Moblit stood up to leave.

"Bye, Moblit!" Hange waved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks had passed by quickly, with (Y/N) rushing to make sure that Hange's needs were fulfilled. Hange had spent most of the time reading more titan lore and ordering more experiments on Pine the titan. The two had gotten closer during this time, with (Y/N) finally being able to talk to Hange casually, all while keeping control over her feelings. Hange didn't intimidate (Y/N) anymore, and she considered her a friend. Sleeping with Hange on the same bed had slowly gotten easier, but (Y/N)'s heart would still beat erratically every night. (Y/N)'s feelings for the woman only grew stronger.

"I can walk now!" Hange cheered, testing out her leg after the cast was removed.

"Yes, but you have to be careful," the medic warned as she removed Hange's arm cast as well.

(Y/N) smiled at Hange's excitement but she felt a pang in her heart. She knew that her time as Hange's personal assistant was over, as Moblit had made a full recovery as well. She was back to being just the research assistant. (Y/N) would miss seeing Hange every day.

"I'm going to go see Pine now," Hange stated as the medic finished up her work.

"Great! Anything you would like me to do?" (Y/N) asked.

"Hmm...not at the moment. Take the day off, (Y/N)! You've definitely deserved it," Hange flashed a smile before leaving the room.

(Y/N) sighed and walked towards her room, unsure of what to do with her new free time. She entered her room and looked around. It had been a while since she had slept here. She already missed Hange's presence, her lively personality, the way she would call out (Y/N)'s name...

(Y/N) laid down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. What was she supposed to do now? Being just friends with Hange tortured her. But she didn't want to risk her friendship either. What if Hange didn't like her? What if Hange just didn't want to be in a romantic relationship? What if Hange was revolted by her feelings? (Y/N) shook her head, resigned. She knew she would never be able to tell Hange how she felt.

A/N: Well, (Y/N)'s time as Hange's personal assistant is over! I felt kind of sad writing that. As always, thank you for reading :)