𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟖. what is grief, if not love preserving?

WHAT IS GRIEF,
IF NOT LOVE PRESERVING?

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°• CHAPTER EIGHT •°

" THEY'RE ALL ON
THE OTHER SIDE. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THE TRUTH ABOUT SIBLINGS IS THAT YOU KNOW THEM BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD EVEN WHEN THERE IS A RIFT. Elijah envied the close relationship Jonathan had with Will sometimes. There was a distance between the bond he had with Nevaeh and for the longest time, he assumed it was because they were too close in age. That turned out to be the furthest from the truth. It was only because Elijah was too wrapped up in his whirlwind of thoughts while Nevaeh was trapped in a box of addiction. It was difficult that they wanted to save one another even if it meant they drowned themselves. That never worked between a close brother and sister.

But Elijah still knew everything about Nevaeh. He has since the day Tobia and Esme brought her home from the hospital even if you wouldn't believe him since he was only a month away from his first birthday. This was his baby sister he told himself every day from the first night he understood what responsibilities came with having one.

Elijah knows she had an allergy to nuts and made sure everywhere they went that everyone knew too, but he's caught her tempted by Reese's, and would have to wrestle the candy away from her sometimes. He knows Nevaeh's favorite color was yellow and her favorite flowers were white daisies because they reminded her of happiness. She loves English & Literature classes the same way he loves lessons of Science, which she especially loves with all of her heart the same way Elijah does and keeps a striped notebook tucked under her mattress full of scrawled poems. They tell tales of sorrow and grief although he dared not to touch it. Those were for Nevaeh's eyes until she was ready to share them. There was a trust they had that he'd never betray.

There were a few things Elijah knew about Will, too. He was amazed at his sketching skills and how much color he brought to this world. He has a beautiful picture of the solar system that Will eagerly drew for him pinned to his closet door. But Elijah didn't know the kid like his big brother did. Jonathan was well aware of the night calls Will made on his radio to his three closest friends, three kids he's attended school with for years, one of them being Nancy's younger brother. That was how they were going to find them so they could find Will too.

The Christmas lights Joyce had decorating the house from the last time Elijah visited were still strewn across the wall, ceiling, and furniture. Jonathan barely blinks at them since he now believes his mother hasn't lost her mind. He's busy guiding them to Will's bedroom as Nancy hung back for a second, her jaw dropped at every twinkling bulb before she snaps out of it and follows them.