four: the pudgy boy

Y/N's POV:

The sky started to dim more as the sun faded away beyond the walls. People started to gather around what was, as far as I was concerned, the entrance.

I saw Newt in the distance, pacing slightly while holding onto a sharpened spear. Why would he need that? I heard footsteps quietly behind me and I automatically spun around, ready to pounce if needed.

In front of me I saw a young boy. He was short with brown curly hair and a pudgy face. He looked sweet - like he would never hurt a fly.

"Woah! Sorry, didn't mean to startle you." He said, putting his hands up to show he wasn't going to do anything. He looked roughly twelve years old, full of life and laughter.

I looked at him intently before he spoke again. "My name's Chuck. Everyone already knows yours so I don't think you'll have to repeat it to many others." He explained, a hint of a chuckle on his tongue.

"Nice to meet you," I said before asking something. "What is going on over there?"

The boy turned to me, a small frown creeping from his features. "A punishment. That's what they call it anyway. I say it's a death sentence." I looked at him confused with my lips poised. "Just before you came up, Ben attacked Thomas. He came up yesterday." He added, trying to make sure I knew who he was talking about. "Ben has been stung and after attacking another Glader, the Keepers came to the conclusion that he must be banished into the maze."

I looked back into the direction of the entrance as I caught Newt looking our way. Once he noticed our eyes locked, he looked back and continued to pace back and forth.

I heard a loud noise coming from the grand doors, realising that it must be starting.

Chuck took off slowly towards the entrance as I followed close behind. I got a better look once I reached the group and saw Ben in the middle surrounded by the others holding spears at him. I understood now.

By being banished, they in turn knew he would not survive.

I stood next to the boy, watching closely at what everyone was doing. They all looked distraught, it was clear none of them wanted to do this. But they had no choice.

The walls started to close as the group pointed their spears at Ben and began to move forward. I moved slightly closer to Chuck, taking in everything that was happening.

They continued to push the boy further into the maze between the moving walls. He was screaming in fear, every word piercing the boy's ears with sadness. A few tears pricked up behind my eyes, but I refused to let them fall.

Finally, he reached the other side as the doors shut together with a satisfying click. He was gone.

Alby turned around to face the crowd, trying to not let his emotions get the better of him. "He belongs to the maze now." He said, his voice catching in his throat.

Without a single word, they all turned and headed back to the sleeping quarters, heads bowed low, with sorrow written all over their faces.

I realised Newt was at the back of the group as once they had all walked past, he approached me. "Since you were unconscious for a while earlier, Jeff wants you to stay in the Med hut tonight just for provincial supervision. We'll find a permanent place tomorrow." He said, desperately trying to force a smile.

"Are you okay?" I asked, surprising myself for a second at the thought that I even cared. But I did. What reason, I don't know.

His fake smile grew, "Yeah, thanks for asking. Although I don't remember you checking in when you attacked me." He said lifting his eyebrows and laughing. I chuckled slightly, "Yeah? Well, I think one check in is enough don't you think?" I said jokingly, yet still keeping a straight face, as he snickered to himself. We maintained eye contact for a while as we walked towards the hut.

It felt normal, nice even.

"I also didn't expect you to be that strong either. Jesus Christ, I don't know how you pulled that off! We had to get four of our strongest guys to tackle you to the ground, and still you barely gave in." He said, sounding amazed at my actions this morning.

"I don't really know," I remarked, shrugging and laughing at the same time. "I must have been into martial arts or something before all this I guess." He looked at me in awe, taking in everything I was saying.

We reached the hut as I saw a small change in his face as he realised this is where we parted. He started to say something but stopped himself.

"I er," I looked into his eyes as he tried to look anywhere else but at me. "I wanted to ask you something." he said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. I gave him a look as if saying to continue, so he did.

"As soon as you turned up in the box, I felt this kind of, almost familiar feeling. Like I knew you before we were put into this place or something. I don't know, it seems silly to say out loud-" I interrupted him as soon as I realised what he was saying.

"No, it's not. I think I know what you mean." I said, trying to reassure the boy he wasn't going crazy. He looked back at me surprised, his eyes finally meeting mine again. He stepped slightly closer to me, taking in what I said.

"I'm glad I wasn't the only one." He said chuckling to himself slightly. I gave a small smile.

"Goodnight Newt." I said, getting ready to turn away.

"Goodnight Y/N." He replied, smiling ear to ear. He slowly turned away and walked towards the others.

I turned on my heel and entered the only building in the Glade I was really acquainted with.