Chapter 28: Shall We Play A Game?

"Target acquired. You ready for this?" Cole asks me.

"I was born ready."

We nod at each other and then fire our nerf guns at Dad, who is watching TV on the couch. He ducks down to dodge the bullets and then turns around quickly and fires his own nerf gun. Cole and I shriek and hide behind the wall, out of the line of fire.

"Did you really think you could sneak up on me?" Dad chuckles as he stands up. "I'll give you two a five-second head start before I start shooting again."

Cole and I don't miss a beat and start running while Dad starts chasing after us, firing his nerf gun at us.

I smile at the memory and get up from my bed. I start searching through my toy box in search of the nerf handgun.

'Come on, where is it? I know it's in here somewhere.'

"Aha!" I say and hold the gun up once I find it.

And it's already loaded too. I find the other bullets and pocket them. Since it's a handgun I don't really need both hands to reload or fire so lucky me.

I carefully sneak out of my room and creep along the walls until the living room is in my line of eye and so is my target, Connor.

"Target acquired," I mutter to myself and aim the nerf gun at the back of Connor's head.

I hear him talking to someone but I can't hear who it is. I fire and the nerf bullet hits him in the back of his head. He stops talking and whips his head around just as I hide behind the wall and I snicker to myself.

"You can come out (Y/n). I know you're there." Connor says.

I smile and peek my head from behind the wall. I walk over to him and see he's on a video call with Tasha.

"Hey Tasha." I wave with the nerf gun still in my hand.

"Hey (Y/n)! Connor told me what happened. Are you okay?"

I chuckle. "Nothing but a few scratches and bruises... plus a broken arm," I say and shrug my shoulders but wince in pain.

"Careful," Connor warns.

"Ugh." I groan but hide my pain behind a smile. "What were you two talking about?" I ask.

"I was just helping Tasha with a case," Connor informs me.

"Sure. A 'case'." I mutter for only Connor to hear.

"Shove it." He mutters back.

"Kiss kiss fall in love," I say in a sing-song voice in his ear.

"I'm warning you."

"What are you two whispering about?" Tasha asks.

"Nothing!" Connor answers quickly and Tasha raises an eyebrow, not believing him.

"Tasha and Connor sitting in a tree! K-I—" I start singing.

"Tasha I'm gonna have to call you back," Connor says quickly, cutting off my singing, and hangs up on her. He turns around to face me with a glare on his face. "Run." He says.

He doesn't have to tell me twice. I scram and I hear him chasing after me.

"Is someone mad that I embarrassed them in front of their girlfriend?" I say, saying girlfriend in a sing-song voice.

I look behind me to see he's gaining on me. I smirk and look ahead, determined to outrun him but as soon as I look back in front of me my face collides with a wall.