[𝟏𝟐]. who

'Hmm... something feels oddly familiar in the interior...' Venti hummed, a hand on his chin as he gulped down some wine from a random Liyue tavern, his eyes narrowed in scrutinizing thought as he could not put his finger on it.

'Eh, whatever!' The bard laughed heartily, chugging down yet another bottle.

"Err... Venti?" Bennett echoed, nervously glancing at the bard who was on his third drink.

"Yes, Bennett?"

"... Weren't we supposed to meet up with Aether and [Y/N]?"

"Ehe! That can wait for later!"

"Come right in! As per the Liyue custom, I have set up a business dinner!" Childe strolled into the luxurious pavilion, sending a charming wink in a certain [e/c]-eyed girl's direction.

Upon entering the restaurant, Chile scanned around the room, his smile planted onto his face as if he were a painting.

"Allow me to introduce Mr. Zhongli, consultant to an organization known as Wangsheng... and a trusted associate of the Fatui," The Harbinger nodded curtly, backing up as to allow the Traveler to see this... 'Mr. Zhongli'.

What?! [Y/N] thought in disbelief, locking eyes with amber as her heart seemed to ricochet against her ribs, cracking the bone like a crumb.

Is that him? No. It can't be... wait— what? Did he... what? I'm seeing things... who, why... how—

"It is an honor to meet you, Traveler. I have heard tell of you from Mondstadt," Sending an affirming nod to Aether, Mr. Zhongli resumed his observation of the pyro-visioned adeptus.

She blinked.

That's not him. He can't be... Rex Lapis is dead. I saw it with my own eyes!

Had she truly been desperate enough as to mistake this mortal for her archon?

"And you, [Y/N]. Acting Grandmaster Jean has put in many good words about your heroic deeds," Mr. Zhongli spoke, his gaze unwavering as [Y/N] craned her head to the side, rolling her shoulders back.

"Is that so?"

It's not him. She concluded. Even though this mortal was gifted with amber eyes as brilliant as Rex Lapis'... he was not aware of her true identity.

"I am honored," [Y/N] smiled, her lips masking the despair her heart felt once more. His presence, it was on this mortal, it reminded her of him, of home, of the true Liyue.

But this was not Rex Lapis.

She sucked in a breath, looking away from the male who unknowingly shattered her hopes.

He's dead, I know that.

So why do I keep clinging on?

"Traveler, Childe has told me a lot about you. Since you have had dealings with the Anemo Archon, could I ask you to help me prepare the Geo Archon's last rites?" Mr. Zhongli spared a glance at the Traveler, already expecting an answer.

"Childe says too much," Aether bluntly replied, earning a raised eyebrow from Mr. Zhongli and a menacing glare from Childe.

"Oh? In our line of work, that means you want to silence me... How interesting. Draw your sword. We shall—" Noticing the sparkle of your blade, the Harbinger smirked, sucking up his battle invitation to Aether as he masked his urges.