Guardianship

"Headmaster, you can't possibly be serious!" Severus snarled. The headmaster seriously thinks that having him take over guardianship would be a good idea!

"My boy, you are most suited for being Harry's guardian. He has taken a liking to you." Dumbledore stated.

"That's not a good enough reason to take the Potter spawn Headmaster!"

"It's only temporary my boy."

The argument continued in similar fashion before it was interrupted by cries that could be heard from the Headmaster's office.

Poppy had been trying to calm the boy but nothing was working. How a toddler have this much energy? If Severus doesn't come back soon then a meltdown might be in order. Deciding that she was just going to go to Severus if he doesn't come back in 5 minutes. The sobbing had become louder and she couldn't handle it anymore.

"Harry." Harry did not notice her talking.

"Harry." she tried, a little louder this time.

"Sev'us! No! Hawwy good pwease." he said, sentence gradually getting lower in volume. Sev'us had been gone for what seemed like forever to Harry. Why did Sev'us leave? Was Harry bad? But Harry did start to notice her talking.

"You're a good boy Harry. I'll take you to Severus okay?"

"Sev'us come back? Hawwy sowwy."

"We'll go find him. Do you want that?"

"See Sev'us? No weave?"

"Severus hasn't left yet Harry. He's still in the castle."

"R-reawwy?"

"Yes, really. Let go find him shall we?"

"Mhm." Maybe the woman wasn't so bad after all. She was going to take him to find Sev'us! The woman helped Harry get off the beds when she saw Harry struggling and they started walking to the Headmaster's office.

The woman had wanted to hold his hand but the action caused Harry to flinch and back away from her slightly. "I'm just going to hold your hand Harry. Is that ok?"

He didn't really want anyone touching him right now so he shook his head. The closer he was to someone, the easier it was for them to hit him but Sev'us was different. Sev'us was safe, he wouldn't do that.

"That's ok. Just stay close to me alright? It's a big place." Harry nodded.

Knocking was heard at the door when they were arguing. Severus knew that Potter was there as well so he needed to ease his temper. Letting his rage cease, he opened the door as the Headmaster had asked.

The door creaked and opened. A sobbing Harry immediately reached out to Severus. Extending his arms out beseechingly, pleading look in his eyes. It hadn't been that long has it? He had only left Potter with Poppy for a while.

"Sev'us, up pwease?" he said in a small voice. At least Potter had some manners.

Silently, he picked Potter up from the stone floor where he stood. The child wrapped both his arms around his neck, making sure that nobody could take him away. His neck was getting damp with tears but he found that he didn't mind it that much. He knew that the Headmaster was watching his every move with Potter.

"Hello Harry. What brings you here today, weren't you supposed to stay in the infirmary?" Severus aske
"Hawwy sowwy. No hit pwease! Miss you." Dumbledore looked at Severus knowingly.

"Calm yourself. It's alright Harry, I won't hurt you."

It felt real coming from Sev'us that he won't hurt him. Sev'us's hold was gentle and calming. His thumb had made his way into his mouth during the ordeal.

"Severus, you will be a wonderful guardian." Dumbledore said.

Severus kept his mouth shut. Potter was probably already emotionally unstable, he didn't need to make it worse with his blunt words.

"Fine." he scowled. Poppy was highly amused. She had never seen Severus remotely dare she say, fatherly before. The Potion Master was not known for his affection but quite the opposite.

Carrying Harry on his hip, he went back to his quarters. In front of his door was a box labeled 'Harry's things'. So the Headmaster had planned this after all. He even delivered toddler items to his chambers.

Picking up the box with his free hand, he walked through the door. He was going to place Harry on the couch but he fussed, doing everything he could to cling to him.

"Just for a while Harry."

"No! No down! No!" Sev'us was going to leave again if he put him down. He needed to be in his arms constantly to prevent that from happening.

"Stop the screaming Harry. You're going to sit there while I look through this box." Severus was getting irritated. The screaming was threatening to let out his previous anger. What happened to being quiet and reserved?

Severus placed Potter on the couch, turning a blind eye towards the protest. He was not going to deal with a brat. Coddling certainly won't help.

"Pwease, up."

"After I open the box. Stay there." Why was Sev'us being so mean? He had held him just now. Was it not-Santa that made him a meanie? He was caring before he had to talk with not-Santa.

The box was filled with everything a 2 year old needed. From toys to sippy cups to nappies, it was packed with things. Glaring at the idea of having to change Potter's nappies. That was not happening, Potter better be able to use the bathroom.

True to his promise, he did lift the child back up after he was done with the box. He gave Harry a tour of his quarters and left the box there for later.

"This is my bedroom. You're not allowed to enter unless it is something important." Severus carried Potter to the entrance of his potion lab.

"This is the potion lab. Under no circumstances should you be in here at any time. There are many dangerous ingredients in it. If I catch you inside, there'll be serious repercussions. You do not want to find out what they are." Potter nodded. He hoped Potter had understood what he said but still warded his lab just in case. He was not going to have his lab ruined.

He walked to the unoccupied guest room. "Lastly, this is your bedroom. You will be sleeping here during your stay in my quarters." The room had light grey walls, twinkling stars on the ceiling that was definitely the Headmaster's doing, a bed with light grey covers to match the walls. Potter bounced in his arms in excitement at the words.

"Calm down Harry."

Seems like the Headmaster has also taken liberty in decorating and furnishing Potter's room. Thankfully, there was no Gryffindor colours found anywhere. That would not have gone over well.

Harry was shocked! He got his own room! His own room! This is amazing! "Sowwy. Dis Hawwy's woom?" he asked, he needed to make sure he was not dreaming.

"Yes. It's your room. You can gawk at it later, we have some rules to discuss." Severus was concerned with Harry's reaction to his own room. Have those stupid muggles always made him stay in the cupboard? Saving that thought for later, he went back to the living room.

Sitting on the couch, he placed Potter in his lap and turned him around to face him. Potter fisted his robe for support.

"Let discuss some rules." Harry continued to look at him, previous excitement gone wiped off of his face.

"They're quite simple. First, no lying. That will not be tolerated. Second, no shouting. Third, ask if you require something. Fourth, listen to me at all times. Breaking any of these rules will result in punishment, do you understand?"

"Huwt Hawwy?"

"I will not hurt you. You will however stand in the corner, a time out, if you were to disobey these rules."

These rules were so simple! Not like any of the ones at his Aunt and Uncle's house. He was going to be a good boy for Sev'us so he didn't have to do the time-out but it was so much better than getting beaten.

Severus had no time to react as Potter threw himself onto him. Hugging him tightly, not sure where the affection came from, he tentatively wrapped an arm around Potter's back to reciprocate the hug.