36. Wounds

Layla

"Auch, auch, auch!" I whimper.

"The needle is nowhere near you," says Hamdan.

I open my eyes and look at the doctor, who's pinching a cotton ball with his fingers.

"I'm just cleaning," he tells me, looking at me over his glasses.

I do not trust doctors, I never have and I never will. They always tell you that whatever they're going to do won't hurt or that it's going to hurt a little bit and guess what? It ends up hurting, a lot. And I do know doctor Qassim, he has been the family doctor for as long as I can remember, but my fear is not personal. Or maybe it has more to do with the massive needle he is about to poke me with. The rubber band he tied around my arm is starting to get uncomfortable but it's also making my veins pop.

"Come on, Layla," doctor Qassim tells me while inspecting my arm. "You are not going to cry like when you were little."

"I will if it hurts!" I threaten.

He chuckles softly and proceeds to take the needle. I grab Hamdan's arm who's standing next to me in the dining room, and close my eyes shut once more. I feel the needle going in and the tension makes me curl my toes. I stop breathing for what feels like an eternity until the doctor talks again.

"That's it," doctor Qassim says.

I look up and he shows me a small tube filled with my blood.

"But is it okay for her to fly?" Hamdan asks him.

"We don't even know if I'm pregnant," I point out.

Hamdan tilts his head to the side. "Layla, you are so pregnant."

Doctor Qassim chuckles and we both turn our heads to see him.

"Flying is usually contraindicated only during the very late stages of pregnancy," he pats my hand a couple of times. "You can travel, no problem, and I'll let you know as soon as the results are ready."

"And that is going to be today, right?" Hamdan questions again.

"Yes," the doctor nods while gathering his things from the table.

"And if the results are positive?" I wonder.

Doctor Qassim stands up. "I would recommend you to see a gynecologist as soon as possible. I know your sisters will have no problem pointing you in the right direction with specialists here or in London," he finishes.

I used to see a gynecologist back in NYC, but never got around finding one here. I thank and say good-bye to doctor Qassim and Hamdan walks him to the door. Right on time, Krisha shows up holding a tray with a plate of fruit and coffee.

I sit back down. "Oh, thank you, Krisha. I'm starving."

"You're welcome, the Sheikh asked me to bring you food as soon as the doctor left."

I make a pout. "Isn't he the sweetest? Did you have breakfast already?"

"Yeah," she replies, standing in her place. "Layla, I wanted to ask you something."

"Sure, take a seat," I tell her before taking my first bite.

Krisha sits down. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you for the Summer? What if you're pregnant?"

"You are also the sweetest and yes, I'm sure. The family has staff everywhere we go; the hotel in London, the country house in Scotland, not to mention all the people they bring with them," I take a quick pause to take a sip of coffee. "You coming is unnecessary and I think you could really use a break after how much you helped me with the whole wedding and me moving here and now we're moving again in a few weeks."