.11

The festival grounds were drier than a desert, and the temps were reaching well into the high eighties. Maybe all black outfits weren't such a good idea, but at least the stage was shaded, so that was kind of a plus...?

You could technically classify our band, 'Younger', as an alt-rock, pop, folk and punk band, so basically we were a jack of all trades. You wanted country music for your nephew's thirteenth birthday? Bring on the Maren Morris and Kacey Musgraves. You wanted hard rock for your dad's retirement party? We'd bring the Falling in Reverse, Breaking Benjamin, and Led Zeppelin.

The festival, however, was our first chance to showcase our favorite genre: whatever the hell we wanted. Our setlist was culminated with a dash of Ariana Grande, some Fall Out Boy, some Paramore, Demi Lovato, and so on and so forth.

The last song on our twenty-five minute setlist flew by on my AirPods and I felt those familiar tingles of nervousness swamp my gut, but that emotion was completely dwarfed by the irreverent and palpable tension created by Eli's magnetism and closeness.

I yanked my headphones out of my ears just as the carnival site came into view and dialed up Bea to make sure that we knew where to park.

"You'd better hurry if you want that hair of yours done in those braids you wanted and that red lipstick. We only have thirty minutes to prepare and warm up before sound check, which we'll have to do behind the stage since so many people are already camped out in front."

"I know, I know, we're hurrying. So it's the red tent behind the Ferris wheel right?"

"Yes. Park there. We're center stage tonight, babes."

My eyes flew open wide in shock.

"What? No, we're supposed to be performing on the smaller stage, off to the side, where no one would really notice us all that much..." I trailed off, terrified beyond reason. I had never performed for a crowd that big before. Center stage, even as the opening act, was already filling up as people claimed their best seats.

And we were the first act!

"I know but there weren't enough acts to fill out the other stage's repertoire, so we're it. I'm glad they liked our audition tape."

"Yeah," I mumbled breathlessly into the phone. I was really hoping Bea would spontaneously decide to take the lead vocals in 'Sorry Not Sorry' because the thought of trying to hit that lofty high note at the end in front of all of those people? It was more than nerve wracking, it was downright terrifying.

"So, about the lead in the Demi and Ariana songs-"

"I'm going to stop you right there. I thought we agreed that you were the only one who could hit those notes? I tried and my voice cracked the entire time. You're just getting scared, but I know you've got this. Oh, is that you guys in that giant SUV? Who is that driving you? Holy shit, V, is that who I-"

"Okay, I see you. Bye."

I cut Bea off because I didn't want her making such a huge deal out of who I was with, even though there were sure to be questions upon questions about the most popular basketball player at our school and why exactly he was driving me to our gig.

"Park right there," I told him, and Eli complied, those large and veiny hands clutching the steering wheel tightly, like something was wrong, but I couldn't be sure since his eyes were still guarded by his sunglasses.

I snuck a peek over towards him but was distracted by the disgusting sound of lips smacking together from the backseat.

Stifling a groan, I said, "Thank you for the ride," to Eli and was just about to jump out of his car before his hand reached out to grab my arm.