Chapter 10

I blinked multiple times with my jaw gaped. "Your girlfriend?" A frown appeared on my face.

"Yes, Imogen." He said through a fake smile. "This is my Mom and she has been dying to meet you." 

I frowned at him. "But—" 

"It's so nice to finally meet you. I never believed Hames already had a girlfriend. I didn't believe him a bit, not to mention believing she's a really beautiful one like you. I'm Trisha Hendrix." She smiled with the small of her teeth in view. 

When it was patent that his Mom wasn't looking, Hames glared at me; a glare that warned me to go along with the flow. That didn't stop me from feeling pissed off by his lie.

"Trisha?" Why did that name sound so familiar? "That name sounds familiar and you look very familiar." I squinted my eyes, trying to remember where I had seen her or heard her name. 

"I'm the owner of Risha's products; Risha's perfume, shoes, magazines…" she said proudly and I widened my eyes in realization. That explained why Hames had said I had a nice choice of perfume. So it was his Mom's.

"Oh. Wow." I nodded with a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Hendrix."

"Oh, silly. Call me Trisha, you'll make me feel old by calling me that." She waved her perfectly manicured fingers in the air. 

"Oh, okay." I forced a smile, glowering at Hames when she turned to stare at him. 

"So… how did you know my son?" She returned her gaze to me, beaming with so much interest flickering in her eyes. 

"Uh… your son?" I nodded excessively. "I'm his Secretary."

"Wow, really?" She waggled her eyebrows at him. "I thought you were always against relationships at work."

"Yeah, whatever." He rolled his shoulders, massaging the back of his neck. "There was an exception for her."

"So…" Trisha stared between us but Hames rose to his feet, arching his back to rest his hand on the table. 

"Imogen, I'd like to speak with you privately." The tone he said that with and calling me by my first name sounded extremely weird coming from his mouth; my internals had a war against one another to stop me from cringing at that and forcing a smile. "Sure, why not, Hames?"

His eyebrows raised at that. "Yeah… Hames." He hummed, nodding. "Let's go." He turned around and held my hand. 

"Wait, where are you going?" Trisha snapped, gripping the arm of the chair. 

"Uh…" Hames avoided looking at her, scratching the back of his neck. "I have to say something to her privately."

"Why? Are you taking her away from me? I badly want to talk to her but you're keeping her away?" She didn't sound pleased at all.

"You worry too much, Mom." He admitted with a lopsided grin. "I just want to say something to her then we'll return. I promise." Without another word, he continued walking, tugging me along till we came to a stop beside a building by the corner of the road. 

"Do you care to explain what the hell that was for?!" I raised my voice at him. I was totally pissed off by everything; his lie, pulling me here, everything!

He held my shoulders, pinning me to the wall and let out a deep exhalation. "My Mother is desperate to have me married so you'll have to pretend to be my girlfriend because her pestering is killing." 

I shook myself from his grip on my shoulder so I could stand in akinbo. "And how's that my problem, sir?" My eyebrow raised at him.

He studied me with a hardened expression for a while. He seemed so lost in his thoughts so I had to snap my fingers in front of him to draw him out of his thoughts world. "I'll pay you $5,000."