Chapter 30: The Untold Truth

Adaline couldn't leave her bed the next day. She told Freya that she was sick and that she wouldn't be attending her classes that day. Freya started to protest promptly but Adaline managed to convince her.

She lay in her bed as she thought about what she could possibly do until her time for escape arrived. There was still less than a week left for it and she had managed to complicate her situation at the exactly wrong time. She didn't want to think about the dilemma that she was in.

There was a knock at her door, which startled her. She had her dagger in her hand immediately. "Who is it?"

"It's Stefan."

Her heart stopped. She didn't want to face him but he must have made his way through all the staring Grisha to talk to her. He was using the door, after all. "Come in." Stefan walked inside and closed the door behind him. "What are you doing here?"

Seeing her again - that's what he wanted to do. "I thought you would want to talk."

Oh Stefan, she thought. "There is nothing to talk about." She tried to avert her eyes from him. She was going to be leaving in a few days. She shouldn't lead him on like this. She couldn't.

"But why Adaline?" He walked towards her bed and sat down on the chair next to her. He held both her hands in his. He kissed her knuckles and took a deep breath. "I know you are trying to do what is best for everyone else," She was going to protest but he continued talking. "I would give anything to spend my life, however long, at your side."

"I know you would."

"Then don't you think we owe it to ourselves to give this a chance? I like you, Adaline. I truly do."

"Stefan...."

He sat on the bed next to her. He brushed her hair from her face as tears started to form in her eyes. "Please. Tell me."

"It's been such a long day and-"

He chuckled nervously at that. "It really has. But you're trying to stall. I like that." In the short time that they knew each other, he knew enough to know that. "Why can't we be together?" He asked again.

The softness in his voice was enough for her breakdown. "I have nothing to give you, Stefan. I have no parents and no lands that I could offer you. You're the Dauphin of Ravka....and I am a nobody."

"No, that's not it." He said. "The Adaline I know wouldn't worry about that. What is the real reason?"

She took a breath. "Because the Darkling will kill you! And I will be responsible for it."

He looked confused at that. "He didn't kill the seamstress, if that's what you are trying to say."

"But what if he hurts you? You know that he is capable of anything. What if takes your heart? Or have your eyes?"

 What if takes your heart? Or have your eyes?"