twenty - you

assumptions are scary.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|"I hope it gets better."

"Mother.. you're really like a mind-reader."

"Hmm? Am I really?" She offered you a gentle smile, like always.

You raised an eyebrow. "If not?" Her smile lengthened, a sigh escaping her parted lips.

"If anything, it's my daughter who does half, if not all, the magic." She leaned in close, her voice lowering as she uttered those words.

"Haha, very funny, Mother."

"I'm the older one here, how come I'm livelier than you are?!" She gasped in mock shock. You rolled your eyes. "Stereotypes. Assumptions. Expectations. Don't they all boil down to the one same thing?"

"And what would that be, hmm?" She hummed, as if she was assuring you that she was all ears for your many philosophical ideas.

"Greed." You took another spoonful of curried rice. "It's all because people feel greedy. They are so hopeful of someone's abilities to the point it's not so pretty anymore."

"So greed can be beautiful?"

"Why not? Don't tell me you're placing assumptions on how greed should be like when I'd just shunned the entire system of those words?"

"Yes." Your mother smiled, her eyes twinkling.

"Unbelievable." You continued to dig into your meal, taking bigger spoonfuls.

"I thought someone said something about expectations?" At that, you perked up, interested in whatever your mother was going to retort back.

"Weren't you just placing expectations upon me to reply in a certain way?"

An irk-mark appeared on your forehead and you growled lowly. "OKAY, YOU WIN! NOW LET ME ENJOY MY CURRY RICE IN PEACE!"

Your mother burst into a fit of laughter, ever gentle. "And sometimes I'd still wonder who you take after more."

Upon mention of that, your physical system ceased to function, your fingers stiffening up though they were still wrapped around that battered old spoon you'd been using since forever.

How are you still able to talk about that like it was something very normal to happen? Like it didn't scar you emotionally forever?

I really, really admire you, Mother.

How do you even do it?

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

they give you an illusion of hope and sweep you right off your feet at the worst moments.

words: 382
published: 8/5/2021