fifteen

you step out of the bathroom the next morning, showered, clean and dressed. you squint your eyes in the direction of the kitchen as you hear the familiar sound of turkey bacon sizzling on the pan and toast popping out of the toaster.

you walk to the kitchen in your fluffy slippers and your summer dress, with sleeves that reached your elbow and could be easily rolled up to treat the slowly decreasing purple spot on your arm.

severus has done wonders on it, finally managing to create the manent potion to help keep you anchored to this reality and prevent you falling into the other one in your sleep.

the punctures have begun to heal and you can only thank the man smiling at you as he places cups on to the the dinner table.

it was slightly strange when you thought about it.

severus snape- smiling- and of all people, smiling at you.

"sleep well?" he asks, turning to wave a hand and watch the plates find their placement mats on the table.

"yes." you say, reaching out to grab an apple from the fruit bowl but wince as snape slaps your hand away.

"what was that for?" you groan and he rolls his eyes.

"can't you see me setting up the table? don't you smell the food in the pans?"

you feel your ears go pink at the pure annoyance in his voice.

"don't go and eat an apple for breakfast when i've just gone and got your meal ready!"

you twist your foot around on the hard wood floor and look down at it. "okay, i- i'm sorry then."

"it's fine." he says, waving a hand dismissively. "go and turn the radio on. the muggle one, not the wizarding one- i've heard enough of fudge's pretentious blabber."

you giggle at severus' snide remark at the minister of magic and turn the dial on the muggle radio to the bbc channel.

'and next we'll have andrew marr- one of our bbc correspondents for number ten reporting back to us in a minute or two but before that here's holly stratford with the weather-'

the muggle news drones on as you wonder back to the kitchen table and stare at severus' hair pulled up into a bun.

it's adorable but at the same time you have a weird urge to snip it off.

"oi!" severus says, throwing a tea towel at you.

"what?" you laugh, catching it before it can crash into your nose.

"leave my hair alone!" he grumbles, pulling his hair out of the bun. "and it is not adorable."

"oh it is!" you laugh. "and stop reading my mind! it's a violation of my privacy!"

"not my fault your thoughts are so loud." he shrugs.

then, the doorbell rings and your eyes light up at the the name that flashed in your head.

minerva.

severus nods at you and you race to the door and twist the door handle before being tackled into a hug.

"y/n!" minerva sighs, bending down and wrapping you in her slender arms.

she was wearing a big woolen jumper, a nice light creme colour that made the hug extra warm and fluffy. you wondered how on earth she wasn't burning in the summer heat.

"i missed you," you say backing away into the kitchen watching her kick her shoes off and follow.

"as did i, dear." she grins, throwing her handbag onto the sofa.