Character Shorts

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
character's short stories

H A R P E R     J A N E T     E D W A R D S

The first step to her loosing her mind was dad. It's been a year since he died and I can see my mother's wear and tear from it. Each layer that held her together is slowly peeling off.

The second step was her friends that come by once a week. They have some sort of book club formed in our very own living room where they dive deeply into their novels chosen. They have a hold on her mental state without her knowing.

The third step was that god awful lady- Samantha, who was temporarily in mom's book club. She always gushed about fitness, dieting, and that food was the work of the devil. She rubbed off too much on mom.

The last step was my red hair. My growing, thick, red hair. Both my parents have reddish hair, only mine is a lot more like my dad's. I catch her glaring it at when she thinks I'm not looking.

"Harper, for goodness sake!" At the thought of my mother's unraveling, she shrieks out loud. I emerge from the hall and into the cluttered living room where she's setting up for her book club session. "I said I needed help and you've done nothing!"

"I can help now." Trying to ease mom barely works, but it's better than feeding the dragon. "What do you-"

"Oh for crying out loud." She cuts me off without hesitating. Her hands are prepped on her hips, and her eyes down on my dress. Dad bought it for me. I doubt she remembers, but I don't remember the last time I wore something so lovely. "What are you wearing? Heavens child, change now!"

Her words sting. I tilt my head down and gaze at the fitted navy blue dress. There's nothing wrong with it. After all this time, it finally fits nicely. Ever since mom decided lunch in banned from the house, I lost just enough weight to squeeze in.

"What's wrong with it?" I question, hoping I could either convince or plead her to let me wear it. We're not doing anything special today, I just wanted to feel good.

Besides, the last time I left the house was months ago. Every time I tried walking out the door mom would need my help. I had to stay. "It's too tight! I can see just about every detail from here!"

It may be tight fitted, but I didn't think there was anything that wrong with it. I frown. "It's fine-"

"No, it's not, Harper." Sternly, she sets her ground. "If you had listened to all the details Sam had given you, or read those books, you'd know someone with your shape cannot wear that."

My shape? I didn't think I was overweight. I looked like all the girls I had gone to high school with.

I didn't want to break down in front of her. She's just having one of her episodes again. "You're fat child, fat. No one wants to be friends with the fat girl. How many times do I have to repeat myself?"

It stings more than it has before. I feel the water building behind my eyes, but I don't let it spill. Dad would think I look lovely. "You don't mean that."

Mom was never like this. She was loving. We were a happy family when dad was around. We'd go on a picnic every Sunday, there would be jazz music playing in the kitchen whilst my parents laughed and cooked together, but it's different.

I never realised just how much dad was the glue to the house hold. I have seen the curtains open in weeks. There's been no music. Nothing but silence.

Mom huffs very loudly and starts neatening the pile of novels on the coffee table. "The world doesn't revolve around you and what you want, Harper. Go upstairs, and get changed before I get mad."