Polly X Reader: Sweet Treats (Modern!AU)

"What do you mean you're not coming?!"

"I'm sorry Y/N, but I'm stuck at work." Lizzie's voice sounds anything but apologetic through the phone. "Tommy's just thrown more files at me. I doubt I'll make it in time."

You let out an exasperated sigh at her excuse. You know she's been trying to get out of helping the Shelby women bake goodies for their kids ever since she figured out that you fancy Polly last week. You made her promise not to tell anyone, especially the matriarch herself, but ever since then she has done everything to get the two of you alone together. Now, it seems she has succeeded in taking herself out of the equation. At least Esme, Linda, Grace and Ada will still be there.

"Alright Liz, that's fine," you concede with an eye roll, "I'll see you later tonight." And with that, you hang up the phone. You use your phone to check the time and your eyes nearly bulge out of your head. It's 3:35, and you were supposed to be at the betting shop at 3. You're thankful that you only live five minutes away as you grab the eggs, icing and butter you said you would bring from the fridge. You quickly put on your shoes and throw on a coat in an attempt to fight the brisk Autumn wind that sweeps through Small Heath. It does little to provide you warmth, you realise as you leave your house. You jog down the street and to the door that leads to the house part of the betting shop, where the Shelby's used to live. Polly decided that this was the best place to make treats, as the kids would all be trick or treating in Small Heath.

You knock twice on the door before entering, to announce your presence. Once inside, you expect to see the remaining five women bustling around the kitchen wearing oven mitts and carrying hot trays. Instead you find Polly Gray furiously cracking eggs on the side of a bowl, muttering to herself and practically shaking with anger. At the sound of you entering she whirls around with a frightening glare that makes you freeze.

"What time do you call this?!" She snaps.

"Sorry Poll, I lost track of time," you admit, "I was on the phone to Lizzie."

"And where is she?"

You're hesitant to reply.

"Well?" She asks.

"...She's stuck at work." You inform her, "Tommy keeps giving her more things to do, and-"

"Oh, for God's sake!" She cries out, throwing her hands in the air in exasperation.

You flinch a little at her reaction. Pissing off Polly Gray never ends well.

"Where are the rest of them?" You ask tentatively. You regret it immediately as her eyes flash with more fury.

"Esme's having a hard time getting the children ready, Ada has to fix Karl's costume, Linda's car won't start, and Grace is stuck in a meeting about the institute." She explains in a huff. "So now it's just us."

You're in shock at the excuses, and you have a sneaking suspicion that Lizzie has something to do with this. You swear you're going to kill her when you see her later.

"What about asking the boys for help?" Yet again you regret opening your mouth, as Polly lets out an incredulous laugh, her eyes lighting up slightly at your stupid question.

"The boys?" She laughs. "You think the boys will help?"

You shrug your shoulders meekly and bite your lip, preparing for her to rip into you.

"Tommy, John and Arthur are working, and Finn and Michael are on the piss." She tells you. You nod. Really you should've seen that one coming.

In an attempt to get on her good side again, you hold up the carton of eggs, the icing, and the stick of butter to show her that even though you showed up late, you're not empty handed. She sizes up the ingredients and gives you a little nod, perhaps in appreciation. She tosses you an apron that you just about catch and turns back to her mixing bowl.