Part 37

"I hate everything about this," Scarlet grumbles, her cheek against the glass of the window.

Conrad stays silent, leaving the statement for Carlos to respond to.

Carlos ignores Scarlet, turning the steering wheel.

"Do you think this could be a ploy to get you away from the Capital? It would make you more vulnerable, you know," Scarlet chatters, and Conrad rubs her temples, staring straight ahead of her.

She's in the passenger seat, and everything about their journey is frustrating and annoying her.

Her leggings feel too tight, her jumper feels like it's strangling her, and trainers feel like they're laced too tight, even though she knows they're not.

"Scarlet, any idiot knows that a High Alpha wouldn't leave without protection. I have two trackers in my vehicle, and four guards are driving behind us. Nobody is stupid enough to try trap seven people, especially when one holds more power than most other wolves do," Carlos mutters, a deep line between his eyebrows.

"Well, if you think that, you're not being very smart," Scarlet sighs, crossing her legs and folding her arms.

Conrad's eyes are firmly fixed on the approaching trees, and her window is slightly open.

She can hear the pounding of paws in the forest surrounding the road, and she's uneasy with it.

"I think you should inform someone we're looking for him alone," Conrad says quietly, her eyes finally landing on a wolf.

"They'll know soon enough," Carlos responds, closing Conrad's window.

"I'm listening for the wolves. They're surrounding us, you know," Conrad murmurs, and Scarlet raises an eyebrow.

She didn't notice.

"I can hear them, Conrad. I think they're following us because you're with us," Carlos points out, and Conrad scowls.

"Why am I relevant? I'm not their Alphas mate anymore," she grumbles, and Scarlet rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, but if he reacted that badly because of something you did, you're probably the only one who can calm him down," she drawls, sitting forward, "so what was it that you did?"

Conrad gives her a look that would sour milk, turning back around quickly.

"What makes you think Conrad did anything?" Carlos asks, his tone verging on frigid.

Other workers under him take this tone as a warning, a sign to shut up; Scarlet, of course, does not.

"You guys had sex!" She shrieks, and Conrad lunges into the back seat, slapping a hand over Scarlet's mouth.

"There are wolves outside. I don't want them to know my personal business," Conrad hisses, fixing herself into the seat beside Scarlet.

"Well, his reaction would only relate to you. We all know he hasn't marked Meg; we'd know about that," Scarlet grunts, fixing her hair.

"How would we know?" Conrad asks with a frown.

"Because Jane would react just like Atlas' wolf is. You're still technically connected," Scarlet explains.

"Thanks for reminding me," Conrad mutters reluctantly, crossing her arms.

"I think I can see him," Carlos suddenly announces, slamming his foot onto the gas.

Neither of the women expected it, and flew backwards in their seats.

"How do you know it's him?" Conrad gasps, clambering back into the passenger seat.