five: the mark

I awoke the next day in a bit of a haze. The bed was decently comfortable, more so than I expected, as I lifted my head off the pillow and swung my legs off the bed. Everything seemed peaceful. There was no noise, no nothing. I stood up and walked over to the door and then slipped outside. 

No one was there. It must be early.

I examined what I was wearing. Nothing interesting, that was until I noticed something. I don't know how I didn't see this before as I gently pulled up my left sleeve to reveal a tattoo on my wrist. It seemed simple, but yet in my current state it made no sense. The letters W.C.K.D were inked on my arm in slightly large capitalised letters. It read downwards instead of across which I thought was strange. But that wasn't the only thing. The whole thing itself had a dagger through it. As if it was being stabbed.

I quickly put my sleeve back where it was. I will deal with whatever that is later.

I noticed a tree house type structure in the distance and decided to explore. I climbed the steps and honestly it was higher up than I thought. Beautifully built and very sturdy, I'll give them credit where credit's due, they had excellent builders.

In the distance I noticed a few figures. It was Alby and a boy I didn't recognise. They ran together side by side, before stopping slowly in front of the main entrance. As far as I was aware, Alby wasn't a runner. He was the leader, end of.

They waited for about 20 seconds until the walls started to jolt and move again. As soon as that happened, they bolted forwards, rushing into the maze. They were out of sight within 5 seconds as they disappeared into the looming fog.

"How long you been up here then?" I heard a voice ask, unsure of where it was coming from, yet I knew exactly who it was. The Brits blonde head popped out from the ladder with a huge grin.

"You're very chipper for someone who is awake at what I'm guessing is very early in the morning." I said, not changing my facial expression at all. He chuckled and pulled himself forward, allowing himself into the tree house. His eyes locked with mine as he retorted "Yeah? Well shame to see I can't say the same about you." I smirked before saying "Shut it" with a faint smile.

He moved himself further onto the floor as he plopped himself down next to me. "What brings you up here then?" he asked, seeming genuinely curious.

"Don't know. Just seemed like it had a good view" I responded.

"Well, you were right about that then, great view of the Glade from up here." I nodded, agreeing with his statement.

I noticed other people start to rise from their sleep and slowly head to the kitchen area. Newt picked up on that too before saying "You want to go get breakfast? Frypan can sometimes over cook the eggs but usually the bacon is decently crispy." My face has resumed back to its resting position as I replied "Sure."

We found a table and sat down with our food. It looked nice, even though I was surprisingly not very hungry. I looked around, scanning over the people before my eyes landed on one boy in particular. He was staring at me intently, shooting me daggers the whole time. I looked away slightly, confused as to why he looked so mad.

"What the fuck is that guy's problem?" I asked Newt as I directed my hand at the boy and his laser stares.

"Oh, that's Gally. Sometimes a tough pill to swallow and can often give the newbies a hard time. Pretty harmless though." He explained, looking in Gally's direction with concern. I rolled my eyes and looked back at my food.

--

Newt's POV:

"I thought only runners could enter the maze?" Thomas asked, clearly aware that he was pushing it a bit by asking too many questions. "Yeah, that's correct." I answered, already anticipating what his next query is going to be.

"Then why did Alby go in with Minho earlier? I thought that was against the rules?" I sighed already getting annoyed.

"Alby knows what he's doing. He knows better than anyone. Just trust him on this one okay?" I retorted, trying to sound calm.

"But why though? Why did he go out there?"

"Him and Minho went back to retrace Ben's steps, figure out why he got stung and all that klunk." I looked up to see Thomas not doing any work, Chuck carving at a mini figurine and Y/N completely zoned out. She suddenly snapped back to reality and caught me looking at her. I turned my head back quickly.

"Are you guys gonna help or not?" I asked as they groaned and got off the log they were sitting on.

--

Two hours had passed and it was beginning to get late. I was slightly concerned, however refused to show that to the others as all they would do is just panic. I looked down at my watch. Thirty minutes away from the doors closing; they should be back by now.

"Where are they?" Thomas asked, pacing back and forth, clearly worried.

"They'll be here, its fine." I said, lying through gritted teeth.

Chuck was pacing also, more aware than Thomas of what the Maze can do to overnight guests. Y/N looked at them like they were nuts, then turned her head back to me before saying: "What happens if they don't get back in time?"

"Don't worry, they will."

-

A/N: Hi!! Sorry this one is so short, bit of a filler really for the following chapters. Hope you're enjoying it so far and that I'm not going to fast/slow with the story line. If you could vote that would be super appreciated as it would really help me out and any constructive criticism is always welcomed. Much love! <333