thirty-seven

"All right, we're on the clock," Mayfeld announced as Mando landed

"All right, we're on the clock," Mayfeld announced as Mando landed. "The second we engage those droids, they're going to be all over us.

Kasia nodded dryly as Mando deadpanned, "We know the drill."

"Bio trackers activated. I've got eyes," Zero announced over the commlink.

Mayfled nodded as Kasia twirled her blasters in anxious anticipation. "All right, let's go."

Together the five of them set off through the corridors, Mayfeld in front with Kasia and Mando a step behind and the other two bringing up the rear. Silently, they crept down the hallways, prisoners peeking through the small holes in their cells as they crept passed.

Next to her as she walked, Kasia could feel Mando's unease, and she resisted the urge to put a comforting hand on his arm as they creeped down the hallway.

"I don't like this," he voiced aloud a moment later.

"You always were paranoid," Xi'an spoke from behind Kasia and Mando, and it was all Kasia could do from gritting her teeth at the smirk in the Twi'lek's voice.

"Is that true, Mando? Were you always paranoid?" Mayfeld mocks from Kasia's side, a chuckle in his words.

Were you always an asshole? Oh wait, I already know the answer to that question.

Suddenly, without a second of warning, one of the prisoners that they were passing screeched loudly and hit the door of his cell, the movement and sounding causing Mayfeld to jump back in fright.

Kasia burst out laughing, the sound certainly out of place in the prison ship, but oh wait, she didn't give a shit. How wonderful.

"Were you always a wimp, hmm Mayfeld?" she crooned as she continued to chuckle, finding much joy in the sharpshooter's embarrassment.

Great wordplay, Mando deadpanned silently, though Kasia could sense his amusement.

She flashed him a smug grin, I did think it was pretty good one myself. I'm so fucking hilarious.

"Approaching control room. Make a left at the next juncture," Zero informed them, the information snapping the group back into seriousness.

Mayfeld peaked around the corner of the hallway, signaling the others when he didn't spot any droids lying in wait. At the signal, Kasia and Mando snuck forward, taking up rank behind a pillar across the hallway as they signaled that it was still all clear.

With the confirmation, all five of them relaxed as them shifted out from behind where they hid, continuing to casually make their way to the control room.

Kasia tensed as she unexpectedly heard the soft chattering of an approaching droid, a mouse droid suddenly rounding the corner to stop in front of Burg. That was the one thing she disliked about droids; unlike humans, she could never sense their approaching presence, couldn't feel their thoughts as they crept upon her.