77.

Song of the Chapter: Burning Pile by Mother Mother

Draco's POV

     The smell of fire rushes through my nose and hits my chest, making me feel the sudden need to cough. I begin looking around to try and see where it's coming from, but there's no sign of anything.

     I turn to Malory, who is focused on the front door. Slowly, she walks over to it with caution. The second her hand touches the door knob, the double doors swing open, throwing her down onto the ground.

      In front of my eyes, a large snake made of fire pushes its way into the building, burning everything it touches in the process. I hurry over to Mal and help her up as quickly as possible, then we start running.

                   "What the fuck is that thing?!" Aary shouts from ahead.

     I turn back towards it and realize that no matter how fast we run, it continues to be right on our tail.

                I pull my wand out while moving. "I'm trying to think of something!"

      Malory grabs her wand as well and starts throwing spells at the fire creature, trying to burn it out in some way. But the only thing it does is make it more angry.

                        "We have to get out of here!" Blaise hollers.

       He's right, we do. I just don't know where we could go without that thing following.

      The longer I watch the creature though, the more I realize that it's main goal is simply burning down the church. Although it's chasing us, that's not it's number one priority.

                       "Come on!" I say while grabbing Mal's hand.

      She rips her hand back, but not because she doesn't want to follow. I stare down at her palm and see that it's bright red from the hot door knob.

       So instead, I start towards the nearest exit and have the others follow directly behind.

                       "The side door!" Aary shouts at me.

      I nod, and head in that direction. It doesn't take us long to get to it, but the roof of the building is starting to collapse. Big pieces of wood block the entire doorway.

                  "Z, over here!" I signal for him to join at my side.

      He quickly rushes over and grabs the other side of the roofing. On the count of three, we both begin lifting it up.

        Once it's up a decent amount, I tell Malory and Aary to crawl under it.

     Aary goes first, and right behind her is Malory. When they get to the other side, they take the piece of roofing from our grasp and lift it for Blaise and I.

      When the four of us are finally outside, I wait to see if the fire follows. But just like I had suspected, it stays in the building.

                         "Do you think it was-"

          "Bellatrix?" Aary interrupts. "She thinks it was us, I knew it."

      Malory's face becomes even more defeated, and I don't blame her. My aunt has always been sweet to her, who knows what changed.

      As I continue to watch Mal, I notice her expression change from defeated to terrified in a matter of seconds. Something enters her mind that isn't good.