The First Day

It was Yuki’s first day to shadow Iruka at the academy. She was so nervous she barely slept the night before, not to mention her nighttime visitor. I’m not going to tell Iruka about that, he probably knows all about it anyway, I mean he was on the counsel. Yuki hurried around her home, grabbing all her supplies she would need for the day. Though it wasn’t much she still wanted to be prepared. In the midst of her madness she heard a knock on her door.

“Good morning Yuki-chan” Iruka smiled brightly a her

“Good morning Iruka.” She stepped out the front door to join him on the street

“Are you ready for your big day?” He said with a laugh as they began their walk to the academy

“Not really. I’m so nervous.” Yuki’s stomach was in knots, she could barely walk and talk she was so distracted

“You’re going to be great.” They shared a smile as they continued on.

They passed a few shop owners who were setting up for the day. All of them greeting Yuki warmly and discussing how well she was going to do at the academy. Yuki loved all the support she was receiving, it had been so long since she had heard such words. They continued on down the road when a familiar face came their way, Kakashi. This time his face wasn’t buried in a book so his line of vision landed right on Iruka. He gave him a small nod and moved right along. Poor Iruka could do nothing but nod back, his face turning red as he looked to Yuki. This time she was furious.

“I know he can see me. He may have only one eye exposed, but there is no way he can’t see me!” Yuki had stopped completely, pointing at Kakashi, who continued on his way.

“He’s a very strange man Yuki. I’m sure in time you two will be great friends.” Iruka spoke in a calm tone, trying his best to keep Yuki from running down the street and making Kakashi speak to her.

“Whatever. I don’t need a person like that near me anyway. If he can’t speak to me now when everyone else is then why am I going to wait? He’s not that special.” Yuki took one last look at Kakashi’s back and walked on. I don’t know who you think you are Kakashi, but you are not important to me.

Iruka shook his head and turned to catch up with Yuki, what a great start to the day.

When they reached Iruka’s classroom it was all business. The students would not be in for another hour so Iruka showed Yuki the ins and outs of the lesson for the day, what was expected to be completed, and how grading was judged. Her mind fully involved in the lesson and not on Kakashi’s awful manners. Iruka took a step back and let Yuki prepare for the small part of the class she was in charge of today.

What a beautiful morning, Iruka thought as he looked out the window over the village Even though we’ve already hit a rough patch. Iruka turned to look at Yuki who was still working away, he doesn’t know what he’s passing up.

Before Iruka knew it, it was time for class to begin.

“Alright class, this is Yuki sensei. She will be taking over her own class in a few weeks. Please be kind to her and learn from her. She is not from Konoha so her education is very different from what all of you have learned. Would anyone like to ask her a question before we begin today’s lesson?”

Yuki stepped forward as little hands flew into the air, she couldn’t help but laugh as the children looked so eager to ask their questions.

“Which academy did you go to?” a small boy in the front asked

“Well I did not actually attend one academy. I was educated in many of the surrounding villages. I never stayed long at one academy.”

“Are you a spy?” a girl in the back row asked, her face hopeful the answer was ‘yes’

“No I’m not a spy.” Yuki replied with a laugh

“Could you be a spy if you wanted to?” the same girl blurted out

“Of course.” Yuki watched the girl’s face light up as the rest of the class began to whisper between themselves. Well there’s my first rumor started.

“Ok class that’s enough of that.” Iruka stepped in quieting the class “It’s time to begin.”

Yuki stepped back as Iruka started the lesson for the day. She mostly sat in a chair next to Iruka’s desk. She paid close attention to how the class reacted to Iruka and how he kept their interest throughout the lesson. Iruka made his way up to the board as Yuki noticed a small group start to whisper again, she thought nothing of it until they started pointing into the hall. Yuki was curious what they were so fascinated with so she turned in her chair to peer into the hall. Her eyes swept from the feet of the man to his eye, how long has he been standing there? Yuki narrowed her eyes, glaring at Kakashi from her seat. The man was so taken aback, he had been staring at her and did not expect her to turn around. He took one last look at her before walking past the classroom. Yuki watched his figure pass before turning back in her chair. The children were in awe of her at this point, she could hear their whispers.

“She just scared Kakashi.”

“Did you see that? He ran away when she looked at him.”

Ugh great. I’m doing such a great job today; first a spy, now I’m scaring the great Kakashi.

The bell rang for the children’s break, as they exited they all took a moment to look Yuki over, amazed at what she had done.

“Please tell me you caught that?” Yuki turned to Iruka when the class was empty

“Well now they’ll respect you.” Iruka replied with a small laugh

“I guess I’ll take that, but what’s his deal?”

“I have no idea. Like I said he’s a strange man, maybe he is scared of you”

“Come on Iruka.” Yuki laughed as she threw a pen at Iruka

They left the topic of the staring Kakashi and talked of the rest of the lesson. At least she is easily distracted, Iruka thought as they continued their conversation about the rest of the day. I may pull this off, well for the day.