―vi. faith for the faithless

NAOMI WAS SILENT FOR A LONG MOMENT. She looked at Chiron, who had a grim expression. "Wh... what?" 

"I'm truly sorry, Miss Murphy," Chiron said. "I've informed the search parties, but it may be that... well, he does not want to be found." 

Naomi knew what he was implying. With all of the campers that were going missing, there were two options as to what had happened: they'd been abducted or lured out by Luke and his minions, or... or they sought them out intentionally. 

Naomi shook her head. "No, Ethan was taken," she insisted. "He wouldn't join Luke. I know he wouldn't." 

Chiron didn't look convinced, but he nodded. "The parties will keep an eye out. I do hope you are correct." 

Mr. D snorted. "We should be so lucky." 

Chiron gave him a stern look, which the god ignored, then looked at Drew, his expression softening. "Miss Tanaka, why don't you go and rejoin your cabin? I'm sure Silena is worried." 

Drew hesitated, but she decided not to argue. She squeezed Naomi's arm before walking off. 

Chiron cleared his throat. "It's good to see you all back. And this must be—" 

"Nico di Angelo," Percy said. "He and his sister are half-bloods." 

Chiron breathed a sigh of relief. "You succeeded, then."

"Well..." 

Chiron's smile melted. "What's wrong? And where is Annabeth?"

Naomi's already twisted stomach churned again, her eyes trained on the floor. Percy reached for her hand, squeezing it lightly as he shifted closer. 

"Oh, dear," Mr. D said, sounding bored. "Another one lost." 

Just then, Grover trotted up, grinning like crazy. He had a black eye and red lines on his face that looked like a slap mark. "The Hunters are all moved in!" 

Chiron frowned. "The Hunters, eh? I see we have much to talk about." He glanced at Nico. "Grover, perhaps you should take our young friend to the den and show him our orientation film."

"But... Oh, right. Yes, sir."

"Orientation film?" Nico asked. "Is it G or PG? 'Cause Bianca is kinda strict—"

"It's PG-13," Grover said.

"Cool!" Nico happily followed him out of the room.

"Now," Chiron said to the three remaining demigods, "perhaps you three should sit down and tell us the whole story."

When they were done, Chiron turned to Mr. D. "We should launch a search for Annabeth immediately."

"I'll go," Thalia, Percy, and Naomi said at the same time. 

Mr. D sniffed. "Certainly not!" 

Thalia and Percy both started complaining, but Mr. D held up his hand. He had that purplish angry fire in his eyes that usually meant something bad or godly (or both) was going to happen if they didn't shut up.

"From what you have told me," Mr. D said, "we have broken even on this escapade. We have, ah, regrettably lost Annie Bell—"

"Annabeth," Percy snapped. 

"Yes, yes," he said. "And you procured a small annoying boy to replace her. So I see no point risking further half-bloods on a ridiculous rescue. The possibility is very great that this Annie girl is dead."