[01]: nightmares do that to you.

01 // Chapter One.

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon.

_________

It turned out that my sister has a nightmare.

When she told me, I was on the verge of not-knowing-whether-to-laugh-or-cry tears. I mean, I ran from my college to the hospital, making up some worst scenarios on my head that might happened to her, and it turns out that she has a nightmare.

"I'll leave you two alone," Doctor Goodings said, she gave me an apologetic look and stepped out, closing the door behind her.

I folded my arms in front of my chest, tapping my feet, I gave my sister a you'd-better-have-a-good-excuse look. Harley gave me a wry smile and looked down at her fingers, then she started playing with it.

I took no time to say: "So you insisted on wanting to see me at eleven in the morning, when I'm in the middle of the class, because you had a nightmare? Correct me if I'm wrong, which hopefully, I am."

Cora flinched. "I said I'm sorry!"

"A sorry can't change anything, Cora." I sighed.

"Then what do you want me to do? Invent a freaking time machine and rewind this whole. . thing?" she said, looking up at me. There was something in the look of her eyes that made me softened a bit, it was something like regret? I'm not sure.

I thought of it for a moment. Since I'm here because of my sister's nightmare, and it was just nearly impossible for me to go back to school, I decided to stay here. Walking over to grab a stool near under her bed, I positioned it beside her bed and set on it.

"Tell me about the nightmare, then." I said with a softer voice.

She stared at me like I'm crazy. "No, no. Anything but that."

"Why?" I spat, rolling my eyes. "It's not like you had a nightmare about Mom and Dad or anything-" I stopped when I noticed her face immediately when darker than usual. Our parents were the only the topic we never talked, let alone mention, it was like a memory that we wanted to be forgotten, because it didn't end well.

Especially to Cora.

And now I said something worst than that. Shit.

"Cora," I said.

"Shut up," my sister snapped, lowering her head so she was staring at her blanket, not me.

I frowned at her. Sometimes I said the wrong word at the wrong time, and it sucked. Like right now. My sister sniffed, making me froze. Sniff? What? Normally when we mentioned-not normally, more like rarely-our parents, that was her reaction; she'd cry. Not because of what happened to them, but because of the guilt she felt.

"Cora, I'm sorry," I apologized sincerely. I didn't mean to hurt her. I really didn't.

She was silent for a moment, and I let it be. It'd be better if I didn't interrupt her if she'd like to collect herself.

After what seemed like, ten minutes, she said: "I dreamt of us-you, me and mom and dad- it's Christmas, and we were sitting in our living room after dinner, watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother, you were reading-as usual, and we were just laughing at Barney and Ted and it's just-" Pausing, she took a deep breath before continuing. "It was the best dream ever, and I missed mom and dad, so, so much."

Right at the moment, every memories just came in my mind, the memories where we had as a family-when our family weren't broken yet. It just hurt, watching your sister crying, telling you that she missed your parents, when you know that you couldn't do anything to get them back.