chap. 31

With a thud they hit the hard ground; their bodies slowly starting to dissolve as they dropped their weapons, the illusion disappearing with them.

The female smoothly landed on her feet, a small smile gracing her face as she did so. Her fingertips tingled, adrenaline rushing through her body as the remaining Mitachurl let out an outraged growl. A wooden shield appeared in its left hand, ready to shield the creature from incoming damage.

But before the Mitachurl was able to get into position, it's arm was cut off its body; meeting the ground with a quiet thump. The monster immediately dropped it's guarding item, a howl of pain filling the air.

Childe instantly looked to (y/n) while dealing with the other hilichurl camp, eyes filling with envy as he saw the female effortlessly swinging her blade.

But he quickly turned his attention towards his enemies again, as they were about to attack.

Meanwhile (y/n) stared at her sword in awe, feeling fulfillment as the sunlight reflected in its blade. It's handle felt perfect in her hands as if it was just made for her.

"This was.. exhausting", Childe slowly let himself slide down a tree trunk, the shadow of the leaves preventing the sunlight to shine on him.

(y/n) shrugged her shoulders in response, suppressing a laugh as she remembered the Harbinger struggling with some Hilichurls. Said man seemed to notice and huffed, pointing his chin at his left arm. "Blame my wounds"

They decided to take a break due to Childe's tiredness and settled down under a tree nearby; wind causing the leaves to sway around.

(y/n) let herself fall next to the Fatui with a hum as she closed her eyes, feeling a little comfort in his familiar presence. Childe imitated her actions and relaxed, eyelashes fluttering as he slowly started to fall asleep because of the shooting warmth from the sun.

A few hours later, the Ginger woke up to a quiet yawn next to him. His eyes slowly opened, blinking at the sudden brightness.

His gaze wandered to the person next to him, a gentle smile appearing on his face as he noticed (y/n) waking up as well.

He quietly groaned as a breeze blew orange hairstrands in his face, slightly covering his sight.

The female next to him scratched her cheek as she stood up from the floor, swiftly brushing off the dirt from her clothes.

"It's already noon.. we should get going"

Childe nodded, stretching his back as grass gently tickled his legs.

(y/n) offered him a hand, which he gladly accepted as he pulled himself up from the ground.

The Fatui felt her familiar touch on his skin, causing his lips to tug into a small smile.

She turned away, steadily continuing to walk along the path in front of them as her hair swayed in the wind.

The male paused, staring at her with admiration.

Gentle warmth spreading through his body as he understood something.

Maybe he fell in love with her.