Chapter 4

Warning- Reader's Discretion. Chapter contains some violence scene.

Emery

Darkness. It surrounded me as if it was trying to swallow me whole. I looked around the dark room trying to find light. Anything that could take me out of the misery.

I see a woman screaming at a man and her voice terrified my six years old. The woman slammed a glass bottle on the man's head and I see blood pooling down from the man's face.

I screamed as I woke up from the nightmare. I was drenched in sweat. I looked at the digital clock that was on my night stand. Six-fifteen am.

I sat up on my bed and rubbed my face trying to erase that memory from my mind. I grabbed the bottle of water that was on the nightstand and drank some water to calm myself down.

My phone rang in the midst of trying to calm down.

Frank wanted to update me that he applied for my police check and I should be getting the letter in a few business days.

"The contract will be arriving today. You want to wait until Monday or?"

"I will come in today and look through the contract. Get it down as quickly as possible." I said.

"Okay. I will contact Mrs. Kim and will see you in the office."

"Thanks, Frank."

"You're welcome, Ms. Greyson."

Once I arrived in the office. I could sense the surprise of the staffs who were working on the weekends. I don't usually come on the weekends but if I have to then I will.

I put my drink down on the glass table and sat down patiently waiting for Frank and Mrs. Kim who is the company's head lawyer.

Frank walked in with Mrs. Kim after fifteen minutes while talking in hush tones.

"Ms. Greyson." She greeted. "Good to see you. How was your trip to Europe?"

"Very well, Mrs. Kim. Thank you. How are you doing?"

"Very well, thank you." She said with a smile on her face. Although Mrs. Kim is in her late fifty's she is aging like fine wine. Not only is she knowledgeable at her work but also keeping herself healthy and beautiful.

Mrs. Kim sat down and put on her glasses as we go through the contract together.

After going through the contract she frowned. "It says if the party B which is you, decides to quit before the contract ends then as a penalty the property that will be sold to Bliss will be seize and taken away."

"Why is he associating me with Bliss?" I frowned.

"He knows we're desperate for that property and you'll be working for him temporary and will come back to us. I think to avoid certain situation he's doing that."

"It doesn't state how long the contract is for." Mrs. Kim said while fixing her glasses. "As for the property being sold to Bliss. The contract is very detailed and I don't see any problem with that."

"I will call and confirm with him about the terms."

"I will contact the rest of the team and will come up with some extra terms to maintain your security and safety while working for Oaks."

"Thank you, Mrs. Kim." I said really appreciating her thoughtfulness.

"You're welcome, Ms. Greyson." She said with a smile.

Once Mrs. Kim left the office. Frank watched me carefully. He fixed his glass which I noticed is a nervous habit for him when he is thinking of what to say next.

"What is it Frank?" I asked.

"I'm worried about your safety." He said. "Mr. Rivera is very....." he paused as if searching for some words that's suitable and appropriate to discuss. "Outgoing." He continued. "He's always on the limelight. There's always articles and news about him. It won't be long enough that everyone will find out about your identity."

"I want to tighten the security and make sure that there's no pictures or articles about me in the internet and if there will be. It should be immediately wiped out." I said seriously. "I'm already in the process of moving to an apartment which hopefully would stop Rivera from digging any information about me."

I have chose to move to a smaller apartment and away from my original accommodation to avoid any kind of raised eyebrow or questioning.

"I have moved all of your meetings to virtual calls only." Frank said.

"Hopefully this won't last long." I said. "Once we have the property we can go through plans of remodelling and renovation."

"Very well." Frank said as he jot down on his iPad.

"How is the fall's exhibition plans going on?" I asked changing the topic.

Once Frank left my office to get something done. I emailed Braydon regarding the contract's end dates and why he's taking the property away as the termination's penalty.

He decided to call instead of replying to my email.

"I like how thorough and careful you are when it comes to signing papers." Was the first thing he said.

"I have to always take extra precaution to make sure that I'm not getting myself into any sorts of troubles that could have been avoided."

"One year." He said. "You just have to work for me for a year and if you like it then you can extend the contract."

"If I like it? I thought companies will offer to the employees first." I said.

"Like I said.. I like the way how you work and I believe we'll make an outstanding partners."

"Partners." I repeated his words. "More like boss and employee."

He changed the topic.

"I would like the contract back sometime this week. I'm really in need of an assistant as soon as possible."

I shake my head. "You should have made the contract as clear as the Bliss's."

"So you did go through that contract as well?" He said.

"Why won't I?" I said.

"You're no longer working there?" He said.

"I'm technically still an employee here until I sign the contract with your company."

That reminded me of my next question.

"Why are you taking the property as my penalty?"

"What do you think is my reason?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

"If the contract stated some numbers as your penalty. I'm sure your boss will easily pay for that money on your behalf so that you can work for her, but if I place the property as the penalty. I know that you won't be staying at least for a while."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"Cause I'm in need of an assistant."

"And I'm sure you can find one if you carefully look for one."

He laughed. A very boyish laugh.

"I will see you sometime this week." He said. "If you have any further questions. Email Daniel and he should get back to you. See you soon, Ms. Greyson."

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this book. Next update will be tomorrow. Happy readings!