56. primes

Raven and I abruptly pulled away from each other as the sound of a door opening filled the space. It was the first noise we had heard from the outside since we had been put in here. 

A group waltzed in, headed by a single guard followed by three other people. By the looks of it, these people were a family, consisting of mom, dad and daughter.  The family was carrying trays of something and wore warm smiles. 

"Welcome, friends!" the man of the group greeted. It was almost as if they weren't currently holding us prisoner. "If it's true you survived the Red Sun, then you need a drink."

He stopped in front of Clarke and held out the tray toward her, the cheesy smile still on his face. 

Through narrow eyes , I watched as Clarke smile at him before taking a glass of whatever they were serving...ever the diplomat. 

Jordan, who looked absolutely enthralled with the girl stepped forward and accepted the glass she was handing out. 

"Someone's got a crush." I muttered under my breath, earning a small laugh from Raven. 

"That's amazing." Jordan praised as he chugged back the drink. "What is it?"

The girl smiled. "We call it--"

"Delilah." her mother chastised, seemingly not as comfortable with our presence as her daughter was. 

The girl-Delilah- rolled her eyes as she smiled. "Relax, mother. I don't think they're going to steal your recipe." 

Jordan gave her a quick grin as she looked back to him, finishing her explanation. "We call it Jo Juice after Josephine Prime. Hallowed be her name."

Delilah's parents and the guards repeated the phrase in union, cause a slight sense of uneasiness to rush through me. Similar looks of unease were shared amongst the rest of our group. 

"Uh, can I ask?" Clarke started, taking a small step forward. "It's probably none of our business, but what's a prime?"

Delilah wore a small smile as she looked around at the group of us, noting the looks of confusion that all of us wore. "Sanctum was colonized by a team from Earth made up of four families--the Primes. Their blood rules us still."

As if on cue, the main doors to the tavern burst open, and a group came marching in. "Make way for the Primes!"

The leader from earlier, and a woman, were flanked by a group of guards as they entered. Delilah and her family instantly dropped into deep bows as the couple approached. 

"Which one's the pilot?" the leader demanded, seemingly getting straight to the point. 

"That one." The woman who had arrived with our group-Kaylee- announced. Her finger was pointed at Raven. "There."

Instinctively, I stood up and positioned myself in front of Raven as the guards began marching toward us. 

"Stop." the leader ordered, causing his men to freeze in their tracks. "Did I say to take her?"

The guard instantly dipped their heads in submission. "No, sir. Sorry, sir."

I turned to Raven, giving her a slightly concerned look as Clarke stepped forward. What could they possibly need with Raven?

"Look. If this is about what happened on the mothership, your people stole our transport and then boarded us by force." Clarke explained. "My people were just defending themselves."

"Lies." Kaylee argued. "She wasn't there. We hurt no one."

"You still stole our ship." I shot back, earning a stern glare from the leader.